What's the end game with this scam?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

What's the end game with this scam?

Post by LIVIDZX »

In a couple of months I've had about 8 people approach me while I was walking somewhere, they're always Malayasian or Malaysian Chinese and most of them are on moto's and one was even in Aeon so surely couldn't be straight up asking for cash. But they always start with the same opening line - "Hey nice trainers!" or "Nice shirt!". The first couple of times I was wearing some pretty new expensive trainers, bizarre I thought still but put down to that and engaged in convo with them for two minutes then got bored and said I had to go, the line of convo was just like how long have you been here, where are you working, living etc etc. I realised there must be some sort of end game though when one of them used the nice t-shirt line when I was wearing a plain black tshirt I got from the the night market for like 10000r. Today I had one guy come and I just said, who are you guys and whats the last question you want to ask me and he drove away.

So what is these guys end game? I've never been around them long enough to find out, blackjack like Filipinos or what? I'm very intrigued to know.
Last edited by LIVIDZX on Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What's the end game with this scam?

Post by nemo »

Yes, Filipino card scam. They all have a niece going to study nursing in your country, so you need to visit their killing room.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Ask him to be in your selfie.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

nemo wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:07 pm Yes, Filipino card scam. They all have a niece going to study nursing in your country, so you need to visit their killing room.
Fair enough if true, but I thought that scam was pretty much finished here and hadn't heard of non-filipino guys doing it.
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:16 pm Ask him to be in your selfie.
I would do if I owned a phone which at the moment I do not, and I don't do selfies but getting their pictures out there could help.
Last edited by LIVIDZX on Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

The best one I had was the lady who faked getting a tear in her eye and said "oh...when i see you with those shorts it reminds me so much of my grandson". That was on the ground floor at Sovanna, then on the top floor her male partner liked my shirt. A poster here, I forget who, had the best reply for them- "Yes I bought the (shirt/shorts/hat/sunglasses) in Manilla with the money I won playing poker".
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:04 pm In a couple of months I've had about 8 people approach me while I was walking somewhere, they're always Malayasian or Malaysian Chinese and most of them are on moto's and one was even in Aeon so surely couldn't be straight up asking for cash. But they always start with the same opening line - "Hey nice trainers!" or "Nice shirt!". The first couple of times I was wearing some pretty new expensive trainers, bizarre I thought still but put down to that and engaged in convo with them for two minutes then got bored and said I had to go, the line of convo was just like how long have you been here, where are you working, living etc etc. I realised there must be some sort of end game though when one of them used the nice t-shirt line when I was wearing a plain black tshirt I got from the the night market for like 10000r. Today I had one guy come and I just said, who are you guys and whats the last question you want to ask me and he drove away.

So what is these guys end game? I've never been around them long enough to find out, blackjack like Filipinos or what? I'm very intrigued to know.
Next time you see one, ask more questions. You might find out.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

One time when staying near riverside at the height of the scam season, I carried a pack of cards with me in case someone complimented me on my sunglasses. Unfortunately, nobody ever did. :cry:
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

explorer wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:39 pm Next time you see one, ask more questions. You might find out.
I don't really wanna be around these people longer than necessary.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:13 pm
I don't really wanna be around these people longer than necessary.
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:49 pm One time when staying near riverside at the height of the scam season, I carried a pack of cards with me in case someone complimented me on my sunglasses. Unfortunately, nobody ever did. :cry:
If it's any use to you as protection against being approached by scammers, I think that at the time I was wearing some purple or limegreen $2 sunglasses bought from a riverside vendor. Obviously they were not attractive.
(But super protective!) 8)
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:05 pm If it's any use to you as protection against being approached by scammers, I think that at the time I was wearing some purple or limegreen $2 sunglasses bought from a riverside vendor. Obviously they were not attractive.
(But super protective!) 8)
:D Jokes aside what IS the scam? I'm skeptical it's the blackjack scam, these guys are always on their own for a start. No beautiful niece who needs to study.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic