Star Ratings on Google, Agoda etc

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
NitNoi
Expatriate
Philippines

Star Ratings on Google, Agoda etc

Post by NitNoi »

I posted a review on Google with three stars. The owner replied "Where did we loose the stars"?

For me, three stars means "met expectations" while for stars means "better than expected" and five stars are reserved for somewhere extraordinary.

It seems I am out of step. It seems I should give five stars by default unless there was a problem - but this doesn't seperate the great places from the ordinary.

If you bother to give reviews, how do you award stars?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Star Ratings on Google, Agoda etc

Post by pczz »

try posting a very negative review on any of the above sites and see it vanish into ether. Remmeber Agoda makes money out of people booking rooms, so its not in their interest to publish bad review that would put people off. Booking. com refused to publish my scathing review of a shit hole they had on their site so I don't post reviews anymore.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

what do you expect?
youtube..twitter..facebook all don't allow free speech..
why should a hotel.. restaurant site?
Amazon wants you to work out an issue with a 3rd party seller rather than publish your scathing review.
I have seen some negative reviews on hotels in PP on hotel.com but my reviews are nowhere to be found.
I agree with the poster that it is a waste of time.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

j57 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:59 am youtube..twitter..facebook all don't allow free speech..
What are you trying to write that they don’t allow? Is it some holocaust denial shit?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I posted on Google that the local Thai restaurant no longer had an authentic Thai taste. Apparently the Thai owner and his family sold out to Mexicans. From waiter to cooks to cleaners, now all Mexican.

Food tasted similar or less than the stuff I got out of packets of Thai food and spices from Walmart.

The owner didn’t contest the review one bit.

Followed up by other reviewers said the food was even better than before.

Guess the local market considers Spanish style Thai food more authentic.

Different strokes...
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Anything less than 80% on the rating scale of choice kills a hotel. I spent 10 years working in the hotel biz. For us, anything less than 8 our of 10, or similar, counted as a 0. Similar metrics are used with most rating systems.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

NitNoi wrote:I posted a review on Google with three stars. The owner replied "Where did we loose the stars"?

For me, three stars means "met expectations" while for stars means "better than expected" and five stars are reserved for somewhere extraordinary.

It seems I am out of step. It seems I should give five stars by default unless there was a problem - but this doesn't seperate the great places from the ordinary.

People are working hard in the service, food & beverage and hospitality industry. If the restaurant met your expectations you can thank them back with a 5 stars. Lesser than that is saying they failed.
3 stars out if 5 means you left disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
NitNoi wrote:I posted a review on Google with three stars. The owner replied "Where did we loose the stars"?

People are working hard in the service, food & beverage and hospitality industry. If the restaurant met your expectations you can thank them back with a 5 stars. Lesser than that is saying they failed.

1,000% disagree,
as first stated; 3 stars it was ok, 4 stars, yep very good and would recommend to others,
5 stars, Wow, beyond expectations.
When i write reviews, which is seldom, if i give them 3 stars, i always put in my comments what could be done to improve the establishment.

Giving a restaurant or hotel room 5 stars and it only met your expectations, makes the star system meaningless
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

And while we are on the “give a feedback” topic, before publishing an unfavorable online review please consider first sharing your negative feedback directly to the restaurant supervisor/manager on duty, or later via Facebook messenger.
Hard working restaurants and hotels will always find a way to make things right. Give them a chance to resolve a disappointing experience before sharing online what could have been better.

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am

So if a decent meal is five stars, how many stars for a great meal?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic