Fixer, Guide and Momos

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Fixer, Guide and Momos

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I'd rather not have to return to Australia next time and I was wondering what an unskilled person could do to pay his rent in Phnom Penh.One idea was to act as an apartment/house rental agent/fixer spending the day with prospective tenants showing them places around Phnom Penh for a fee. I could also offer personalized tours for short stay tourists (those with money that only come for a few days or so) guiding them to places of personal interest, or on tandard day tours. These two facilitating services able to co-exist pretty easily, I think. Whether there's already too much competitioin in these areas, or I'm able to generate enough interest, I'm not sure.

Perhaps I could get enough cash together to set up a small take away business - Aussie Dogs or Momo Masters. Mmmmm momos.

Any of those ideas have merit?

Too dumb to teach english.

Any ideas?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Fixer, Guide and Momos

Post by StroppyChops »

Personally I reckon there's merit in the fixer idea.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Alf Stewart
Tourist

Post by Alf Stewart »

I would guess most people would want a local guide showing them around and the city is already awash with estate agents. No idea what a momo is but it sounds like your best bet of the above choices.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

StroppyChops wrote:Personally I reckon there's merit in the fixer idea.
I thought so as well. Strop. Not sure if there's already someone doing it. (westerner, not motodop)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Alf Stewart wrote:I would guess most people would want a local guide showing them around and the city is already awash with estate agents. No idea what a momo is but it sounds like your best bet of the above choices.
How many westerners are showing rentals to those just off the boat?

Momos are little steamed or fried packets of heaven.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Personally I'd deal with an expat fixer who was up front and honest about their charges, commissions etc over a local I don't know. I understand that's not PC but I've heard too many first hand accounts of tenants unknowingly paying ongoing commissions in their rent amount.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Yeah, that's what I kind of thought. If you played it with a straight bat down the line and just took a one off fee, I think people would respond to that.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:
Alf Stewart wrote: No idea what a momo is but it sounds like your best bet of the above choices.
Momos are little steamed or fried packets of heaven.
Ahh, Nom Bao! Why didn't say so?

Chicken Momos with Tomato Achar

:beer3:
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:Yeah, that's what I kind of thought. If you played it with a straight bat down the line and just took a one off fee, I think people would respond to that.
You would really really have to know your shit. Plus fluent Khmer would be a major plus. You would need to be articulate and well dressed - look the part. Why would people hire you unless you have vast experience and qualifications and valuable local connections? What exactly are you bringing to the table that people will pay dosh for? Just being white aint going to fly - that's for sure...

There area already a few professional "fixers" in town and have been here for a very long time. For example, for all media contacts Nic Ray is "the guy" that they all go to, but he has earned that job in a major way. A smart, well-educated, witty and articulate Brit who married into a wealthy and influential Khmer family. That bloke is at the top of the game and widely known and respected.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

for me what I'd like is someone with a decent knowledge of the country that could show me around. Even local guide might work as the locals who really know seem to have NO inclination to learn enough English to do this sort of thing.
You'd need a car for that kinda thing tho...any Tiko's near ya for sale?
I think it would be GREAT to occasionally get out for a looksee by car, bus is just a grueling assault on the senses, tho it gets you from point A to point B tuk tuk/moto feeding frenzy spot :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic