Smog in Kep/Kampot?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Smog in Kep/Kampot?

Post by dave the wave »

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Smog in Kep/Kampot?

Post by Kammekor »

dave the wave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:23 pm Why is there so much smog?
https://www.airvisual.com/cambodia/kep/krong-kep
No rain.
People burning rubbish.
Some farmers set their fields on fire too.
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Post by dave the wave »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm
No rain.
People burning rubbish.
I was thinking it comes from Vietnam but it could be stubble burning. Anything over 100 is bad IMO. If it is consistently over 100 then i wouldn't want to be there. Pretty bad for a place that is basically jungle and national park.
I left Kep for about a month and am thinking of going back....according to that side it will get worse and expected to be the same for some time.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

dave the wave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm
No rain.
People burning rubbish.
I was thinking it comes from Vietnam but it could be stubble burning. Anything over 100 is bad IMO. If it is consistently over 100 then i wouldn't want to be there. Pretty bad for a place that is basically jungle and national park.
I left Kep for about a month and am thinking of going back....according to that side it will get worse and expected to be the same for some time.
Given the prevailing winds I would be surprised if it came from Vietnam.

Well, an edit is needed, winds are blowing from the East now so.......
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's the Chinese Invasion hordes burning you out of your homes.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

Burning season has started ?

Air purifier is a must !
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

It's all those hippies down there firing up a fat un
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

dave the wave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 pm Pretty bad for a place that is basically jungle and national park.
What place is this that is just jungle and national park? What does National Park even mean?

I drove for two hours through a National Park/ Wildlife Preservation Area in the north a few months ago. There was barely anything except the odd dead tree standing from horizon to horizon. The forests that are left have been decimated with all the most valuable wood long gone. The tracks and roads left by the developers/ loggers allow poachers easy access. The net result is the destruction of all the wildlife in Cambodia in a very short period. Pangolins, Loris and Tortoises are all found in vast quantities being smuggled, and these are only the tip of the iceberg. Apparently wildlife was relatively abundant here even 20 years ago, because the ongoing wars had made people afraid to go into certain areas. The improved security situation and new roads have spelled death for many creatures.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Post by dave the wave »

jubo2 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:02 pm Burning season has started ?

Air purifier is a must !
I'm in Varkala right now, got a bungalow for $10 night. Might as well stay here. Beach is nicer, lots of wind and cooler too.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Lots of dust from the trucks and roadworks - amazing red sun just went down over Bokor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic