any good gyms in the area? 148 street

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

any good gyms in the area? 148 street

Post by bucknaked »

Hi

will be heading over later this month and thought I would keep some training up
weights, running machine, maybe some classes

any recommendations please?
Even the ugly ones
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: any good gyms in the area? 148 street

Post by Spigzy »

Probably the closest down that way would be at the Cambodiana hotel - haven't been there in donkey's years, but used to be pretty decent enough. The new "The Place" in Aeon 1 looks the business if you have a Louis Vuitton gym bag, with the original Place on st.51 not being a million miles away either. If your more serious about your gym work and want to be around people who actually work out rather than sitting on their phones on IG hashtagging #gym #fitness #workhardplayhard, bla bla- I can recommend Monkitfit on st.322.

For proper Khmer sweatshop gyms, you probably just need to look a bit harder on your tuk-tuk/motodop travels for a little dinky one with old equipment and a fan, plenty of them around.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cambodiana is still good. About $60 for a month, or $12 a day on a walk-in basis.

Fully airconditioned. Rarely busy so no queueing. Full range of free weights and machines including legs equipment. Plus treadmills and cross trainers. And a pool. It only lacks a set of cables and a peck deck, which is a big miss in my book, but not a deal breaker.

Himarawi is next door but the gym in much smaller. However the pool is much bigger. Similar prices I think.

The Place... I hate gyms like that. Poncy and overpriced with posers galore. I looked around it once and couldn't wait to leave. They had a deal on... something like $70 a month, but you had to pay a year up front. Yeah... right.

There is a open air gym very near 148. It is down a side alley. It's horrible, weights scattered everywhere, rusty bars and grips. But it is $1 per visit. If you are interested I'll get an exact location for you.

Happy lifting....
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

The ceiling is very low at Cambodiana. There is a smith machine but no squat rack. Because it’s a hotel the clientele can be unpredictable. It’s an odd mix of serious lifters and Chinese tourists inventing their own exercises.

The Place 51 is basically it if you want to use the pool, or you can go to Superfit where they allow kids into theirs.

Monkifit is superior if you can survive without the homo sauna. Some of their equipment is a little odd and 2.5 kg is the lowest plate compared to 1.25 kg everywhere else.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

fax wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 am The ceiling is very low at Cambodiana. There is a smith machine but no squat rack. Because it’s a hotel the clientele can be unpredictable. It’s an odd mix of serious lifters and Chinese tourists inventing their own exercises.

The Place 51 is basically it if you want to use the pool, or you can go to Superfit where they allow kids into theirs.

Monkifit is superior if you can survive without the homo sauna. Some of their equipment is a little odd and 2.5 kg is the lowest plate compared to 1.25 kg everywhere else.
Ha! Very true.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

There is a sweat box sort of open air gym in Street 5 opposite Genova Deli. Never been there as it looks to much like hard work if that helps
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

Great, thanks for the names
I'll look out for them
Even the ugly ones
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

There’s a new gym open 24/24 in street 51, maybe corner 200/51 something like that. $50/month with new equipment, aircon, not many members. It’s called One Fit.
Good option if you want to pay by the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

How much cost Monkifit?
Looks like a fantastic gym, but I’ve been told something like $120/month ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Fished out prices from when I looked a while back, not sure if they're still current.

1m: $120 (promo $114)
3m: $340 (promo $323)
12m: $680 (promo $646)

@Nicolas
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic