aggression projection

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

aggression projection

Post by curiosity »

Dear folks,

I have been thinking about something I have noticed in different circumstances in PP. There does not seem to be a name for it, so I'll call it aggression projection. For example, people working at a certain NGO will think that literally any other NGO in PP is evil. No other NGO can even be remotely good. That sounds very unrealistic, yet I have heard it from quite a few people working at quite a few NGOs. Can that be really true or is that projecting something?
Another thing I found very curious is what I observed when somebody left (either to get another job or to return to their home country). Leaving causes a huge amount of distress in people. And then the person who is leaving gets trashed like there is no tomorrow. This often continues months after the person has left. Khmer people are especially good at trashing people who left, but foreigners do it too. I get it that there might have been things you tend to get angry about only when you do not have to interact with the cause of your anger every day. But when you see it happening for each person who leaves, this must be some of projection too. Like there is this understanding that a person is only good as long as this person is around you and when that person leaves, the person suddenly becomes evil. What are you thoughts on this?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Re: aggression projection

Post by simon43 »

I used to project aggression when my ex-Thai GF ended telephone conversions abruptly, without any "OK, see you tomorrow" or whatever. She just stopped speaking and hung up the phone. Man, I got so angry about it!

Gradually I realised that many Thai people have this habit...

I got over my anger by being quicker than the person that I was talking with. As soon as I judged the conversation complete, I'd slam down the phone in a microsecond and high-five myself...!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You need to consider each NGO separately. You cant say they are all this or all that. However, there is a lot of being dishonest to get money, and money not being used appropriately, in many NGOs. They are often more concerned about themselves, than helping the less fortunate. There are good ones too.

There are some people who speak up about things that are wrong, and people who have done something wrong. But the majority of criticism says more about the person doing the criticism than the person being criticised. Many people say things that are not true about others. They think putting others down, makes them superior.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

It’s simple. People who do this are not happy about their life. There is really nothing more to add to this.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

simon43 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm I used to project aggression when my ex-Thai GF ended telephone conversions abruptly, without any "OK, see you tomorrow" or whatever. She just stopped speaking and hung up the phone. Man, I got so angry about it!

I got over my anger by being quicker than the person that I was talking with. As soon as I judged the conversation complete, I'd slam down the phone in a microsecond and high-five myself...!

I get past the telephone bit by using this

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

simon43 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm I used to project aggression when my ex-Thai GF ended telephone conversions abruptly, without any "OK, see you tomorrow" or whatever. She just stopped speaking and hung up the phone. Man, I got so angry about it!

My experience is all Thais do this. They also don't say who they are when they call.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

curiosity wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 pm Dear folks,

I have been thinking about something I have noticed in different circumstances in PP. There does not seem to be a name for it, so I'll call it aggression projection. For example, people working at a certain NGO will think that literally any other NGO in PP is evil. No other NGO can even be remotely good. That sounds very unrealistic, yet I have heard it from quite a few people working at quite a few NGOs. Can that be really true or is that projecting something?
Another thing I found very curious is what I observed when somebody left (either to get another job or to return to their home country). Leaving causes a huge amount of distress in people. And then the person who is leaving gets trashed like there is no tomorrow. This often continues months after the person has left. Khmer people are especially good at trashing people who left, but foreigners do it too. I get it that there might have been things you tend to get angry about only when you do not have to interact with the cause of your anger every day. But when you see it happening for each person who leaves, this must be some of projection too. Like there is this understanding that a person is only good as long as this person is around you and when that person leaves, the person suddenly becomes evil. What are you thoughts on this?
I worked for an NGO for two years in 2009-2011 and NGO's in Cambodia are a special thing by itself, run by people feeling they are very special too - they're making the world a better place while coping with the severe conditions Phnom Penh throws at them.

A special breed, those people. But not necessarily the best breed. And not just the Westerners, the Khmer as well.
For instance, the office staff from my NGO would travel to the provinces in a taxi, or in the NGO car with driver. At the same time they expected the people based in the provinces to take the cheapest transport available when they needed to come to Phnom Penh. Hell, they even kept track of the prices of the different bus companies.

NGO's are a different world inside Cambodian society.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Mish advice level 11

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

However - always keep your birds in the bush.

Send yr gratitude to my ABA account please
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

I heard that working in an NGO in Cambodia as an expat is not too bad, I read it is about traveling the countryside with Khmer assistants, counting cows and raking in $5000+ a month. Could you share some insight into the current vacancies? I feel I am qualified, and currently looking for a new opportunity.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I think the various syndromes the OP mentions have some validity, but I also agree with Explorers call to not generalise. -too much.

A few points about the NGO jealousies - possible factors which may make it a bit less "odd",
- Small town syndrome. A big factor here i reckon. Same as small town stuff anywhere.
- Very passionate, committed people who would like to see their agenda given priority. Somewhat understandable.
- Competition for the small funding pool. A minor factor in reality, but can set up a competitive mindset.
- Lack of communication between orgs. A simple reality for busy people with a job to do, in an insular environment.
- In the big orgs, the people who get to work here/OS have proven themselves to be firm followers of the company line. That can select-out people who have a more open, collegiate style of working with other orgs.

But yes, as an independent who has worked along side a number of "competing" orgs - I would love to see different orgs within the same sector have regular meetings - both biz and social. Also to co-join on projects.
But i am far less judgemental than i used to be about the big orgs that work in my field. I have come to understand the challenges and hard realities.
I can say for sure that both the foreigners and the locals who work in conservation here, as individuals, are the finest bunch in the world.

I still hammer the BigBoys - but more politely now, and only from inside the tent.
People throwing rocks from the outside only produces a siege mentality, and is often "under-informed" in the first place. i learned that the hard way.
Throw rocks OR help to make real changes. You can't do both.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic