Where's the Beet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Where's the Beet

Post by Duncan »

I love a nice salad for dinner on a hot day. Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, a boiled egg, some cheese on top, some canned tuna, or ham, all covered with a healthy dollop of yoghurt. The only thing missing in Cambodia is beetroot,, Now before you say, make your own, I have grown plenty of the stuff in past years and preserved hundreds of jars. Always grew the long cylindrical type of beetroot as it is more uniform in size and it packs better in the jars. The only beetroot I have seen and bought in Cambodia was old and stringy inside and ended up in the rubbish bin.
Has anyone seen cans of beetroot , not a product of China, for sale in the s/markets in PP. Hey, everyone loves beetroot don't they,!

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Where's the Beet

Post by LTO »

They sell fresh beets in the markets. Quite common I think. The ones I've had seemed pretty normal - not old or anything particularly bad about them.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

You can buy sliced beetroot in cans in PP - I'm sure of that, but not sure where - usual s/markets I think.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I bought some Golden Circle beetroot here a couple of years ago, probably from Pencil Norodom. It was dreadful, way too mushy. I'd bought the same brand in Oz for years and never had a dud can but never bothered with it since.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Joker Poker wrote:I bought some Golden Circle beetroot here a couple of years ago, probably from Pencil Norodom. It was dreadful, way too mushy. I'd bought the same brand in Oz for years and never had a dud can but never bothered with it since.
Probably not enough turnover. It could have been mouldering away on the shelves for years. :bad:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Brooklyn Pizza offers exceptional beetroot in their Aussie burger - made in-house.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic