The Brothel to Sweatshop Pipeline

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

The Brothel to Sweatshop Pipeline

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Photo by Schone Kleren Campagne

Meredith Kirby
Sep 2

How sex trafficking victims are “rescued” into other kinds of forced labor

Survivor, sex-trafficking activist, author of the autobiography The Road of Lost Innocence, and one of Time’s Most Influential People in 2009; the once-illustrious Somaly Mam claimed to have rescued thousands of women and children from sex trafficking.

One of Mam’s biggest “stars” was Meas Ratha, who described being sold to a brothel on French television in 1998. Ratha later admitted that she had never been trafficked, and was sent to AFESIP due to her parents being unable to care for their seven children.

Instead of liberating these women from slave conditions, many of these NGOs are simply normalizing other kinds of low-wage jobs, which also exist within dangerous and abusive work environments.These actions also create a culture of shame, where it’s not acceptable for a woman to reject this sort of job, once she has already been “rescued.”

Full
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: The Brothel to Sweatshop Pipeline

Post by MarkRobinson »

Hard work ,think about it next time when you ( and me )waste mone on sh_t
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

wow, the govt really figured out how to get away with slave labor and make it appear as an improvement....makes ya think.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

icetiger81 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:34 pm wow, the govt really figured out how to get away with slave labor and make it appear as an improvement....makes ya think.
My Niece and Sister in Law work in a factory - they are not SLAVES - but are genuinely grateful and fairly happy.

The garment industry is well unionized, well regulated and the ladies gossip all day and don't work that hard to be honest.

The wages are low but then again the productivity is low - really really low.

The wages are linked to the global market price under free market rules - so actually maybe YOU are the one to blame for buying clothes - Joke :beer3:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

So it happens both ways, as many families trust garment businesses to give employment to their teens, hoping that they will avoid darker forms of employment, but then some teens are lured into prostitution. Happens everyday in S.E asia.

The worst is when the teen has to work far away from home.

Road infrastructures, better spreading of factories all around the country, could have a positive effect on that, at least.

Can't imagine letting my kid struggle in such a shark's tank far far away from home.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Can't see these ladies 'slaving away' - and these were from 2010, before they got nurseries, creches and a whole heap of recent benefits.

More like hammocks and mango sessions

Sorry the quality..

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

What is needed is a NGO Somaly Mom Number Two,
to rescue these girls from the clothing factories.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I could put a way more hardcore song, but to put it nicely

[media] [/media]
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am Instead of liberating these women from slave conditions, many of these NGOs are simply normalizing other kinds of low-wage jobs, which also exist within dangerous and abusive work environments.These actions also create a culture of shame, where it’s not acceptable for a woman to reject this sort of job, once she has already been “rescued.”
You would need to look at each work place on an individual basis. But a lot of the workplaces these girls go to are good by Cambodian standards. I think sometimes there is no news, so they invent stories.

These girls are free to go and get a job somewhere else.

You could raise another issue. How good are Cambodian work places for all workers?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:58 pm What is needed is a NGO Somaly Mom Number Two,
to rescue these girls from the clothing factories.
Yeah and some good 'fairy-tale' stories to match..

I was trafficked at age 18 by the NGO's who I trusted to help me. Instead I was trafficked to a factory where the owner paid only according to the Labor Law. I couldn't stop shaking as i was forced to sign a contract for a fair wage. Every day i had to eat at the heavily - subsidized canteen - the varied and healthy meals made me long for the unhygienic outside stalls I enjoyed before. I was afraid for my children playing in the creche. The guards were so mean and nasty - they wouldn't let the children hurt themselves. Then the owner only paid me twice a month, along with days off for 'family reasons'. I can say there were not enough holidays - Cambodia is only top with 28 but there should be more. I would be sick more often if I could. The worst part was when the boss-lady explained i had to make a pair of jeans every now and again - it was horrific. Please, i beg Somaly Mom - don't let's try and better ourselves with an honest living. It's too much to bear - i could kill myself but my facebook likes during working hours are getting so popular
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic