The Devil's Dictionary

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

The Devil's Dictionary

Post by General Mackevili »

I've always thought this was a funny read. Good to just randomly browse through. I used to have a really good link through a university that formatted it very nicely, but that seems to have gone down.

Also, I believe it's totally free on Amazon, so can get it on your Kindle easily for free.

Here are the 2 best links for it I have now. :assasin:

http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/devils/

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/972/972-h/972-h.htm

And probably the easiest download links, although I haven't tried them...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/972

Some exapmples:

GOUT, n.
A physician's name for the rheumatism of a rich patient.

CRITIC, n.
A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries to please him.

ADVERTISING, n. The driving force behind supply-and-demand economics: the stimulation of demand for useless products through the supply of misleading claims

CHRISTIANITY, n. A form of mass narcissism. Adherents to this curious creed actually believe that the "creator of the universe" has nothing better to do with its time than to obsess over their sex lives in order to judge whether or not they're fit for "salvation." The more pious christians are apt to label the feeling inspired by this divine attention as "humility."

EDUCATION, n. In the United States: 1) A means of deadening the curiosity of the young; 2) A type of Pavlovian conditioning utilizing bells and buzzers, interspersed with domination and submission rituals.

RACISM, n. A sign of idiocy indicating that an individual believes that other racial groups can be even worse than his own.

RELIGION, n. 1) The first refuge of the desperate; 2) A convenient way of avoiding such unpleasantries as reality and independent thought; 3) A means of feeling superior to others; 4) A cult which has achieved sufficient longevity, membership, and economic clout to merit societal acceptance.

:dm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
migratory
Expatriate
Israel

Re: The Devil's Dictionary

Post by migratory »

ADVERTISING, n. The driving force behind supply-and-demand economics: the stimulation of demand for useless products through the supply of misleading claims
Be careful you don't piss off your sponsors.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ABORIGINIES, n.Persons of little worth found cumbering the soil of a newly discovered country. They soon cease to cumber; they fertilize.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

migratory wrote:
Be careful you don't piss off your sponsors.[/quote

Let's hope they have good senses of humor!

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
The Educator
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by The Educator »

Good evening, General.

In addition to your links, above, The Devil's Dictionary (by Ambrose Bierce) is also available for free download as a talking book from the site listed below.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/book/t ... ose-bierce

It's good for the car or to help one get off to sleep etc.

Best wishes.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

^Muchos gracias!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic