Closing a Bank Account

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Closing a Bank Account

Post by Username Taken »

Is it as easy as walking in the bank and saying, "I'd like to close my account, thanks"? Then, 10 minutes later walking out the door with all your dosh.

Or are there hoops to jump through? (Fill in these forms in triplicate, get your grandmother's signature, have the sim card you used when you opened your account, then come back in 30 days).

I'm at the end of my tether with the bank formerly known as ANZRoyal.

TIA
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Closing a Bank Account

Post by Jerry Atrick »

8-)

Probably a few forms to sign, have copied.

Then off you go.

I've never closed with ANZ though, just ABA once. Took 30 minutes.

Now it's royal groups bank so, if other ventures of theirs should be used as a benchmark, you will sacrifice 10% of your funds at each level of management involved in your withdrawal, lol.

Run far away.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Lucky you're not in the UK, you would also need you British Gas bill to prove that you really are you - never mind that passport that can be easily forged!

It is going to be horrific and yet epic. Please give a full account of the experience here and with pictures if you can. Good luck.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Why would you bother? Take the money out and don't put anymore in. It's worked for me for years with ANZ
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

fax wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 pm Why would you bother? Take the money out and don't put anymore in. It's worked for me for years with ANZ
After reading the replies above yours, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Just grab the money and run.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fax wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 pm Why would you bother? Take the money out and don't put anymore in. It's worked for me for years with ANZ

They automatically close accounts that have been dormant for a period of time . Every bank is the same,,, and also worked for me.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:53 pm Just grab the money and run.
I did exactly that.

I was making a transfer either before they had online banking or it sucked. For some reason it made sense to do it in person. I asked to know my balance and they wouldn't tell me unless I paid a $1 over the counter fee. I walked outside to the ATM and let it do the counting and never went back. Fuck them.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ABA are smart.. they retain $10 or $20 (I can't remember which) that you can't withdraw unless you close the account. Baastards :evil:
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:27 pm Is it as easy as walking in the bank and saying, "I'd like to close my account, thanks"? Then, 10 minutes later walking out the door with all your dosh.

Or are there hoops to jump through? (Fill in these forms in triplicate, get your grandmother's signature, have the sim card you used when you opened your account, then come back in 30 days).

I'm at the end of my tether with the bank formerly known as ANZRoyal.

TIA
took ten minutes to close my canadia account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:42 pm ABA are smart.. they retain $10 or $20 (I can't remember which) that you can't withdraw unless you close the account. Baastards :evil:
The ultimate satisfaction of saying fuck it is priceless.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic