Banksy- art makes you think

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am
Reputation: 115
United States of America

Banksy- art makes you think

Post by BklynBoy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:17 am



came across this ... amazing work. Banksy-- A great example of art and social injustice issues
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
j57
Expatriate
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 pm
Reputation: 56
Location: Kampot
United States of America

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by j57 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:08 am

What is the injustice issue?
I see one worker taking a smoke break while the other 2 are working.
I had to deal with this issue for years. Staff members who smoked would take breaks while staff members who didn't smoke kept working..
It caused problems.
I was also a smoker. I had a policy that I never smoked at work.
You are assuming these are what? slaves? One is going to have a smoke?
That is supposed to be some kind of message?
What does someone from brooklyn know about life on a plantation?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 880
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 am

Stealing a Banksy
or "enhancing" a public Banksy

Fair game?

(makes you think too - about the lore, purpose and values of street art)
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 2179
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 501
Cambodia

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by AndyKK » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 am

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 am
Stealing a Banksy
or "enhancing" a public Banksy

Fair game?

(makes you think too - about the lore, purpose and values of street art)
Yes it does make you think! His activities in illegal art leaves, his street art worth plenty of money.

The opening lines of Wikipedia

Banksy is an anonymous England-based street artist, vandal, political activist, and film director, active since the 1990s.
His satirical street art and subversive epigrams combine dark humour with graffiti executed in a distinctive stencilling technique. His works of political and social commentary have been featured on streets, walls, and bridges of cities throughout the world. Banksy's work grew out of the Bristol underground scene, which involved collaborations between artists and musicians.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:35 am
Reputation: 19
Andorra

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by jovial fucher » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:02 am

AndyKK wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 am
Stealing a Banksy
or "enhancing" a public Banksy

Fair game?

(makes you think too - about the lore, purpose and values of street art)
Yes it does make you think! His activities in illegal art leaves, his street art worth plenty of money.

The opening lines of Wikipedia

Banksy is an anonymous England-based street artist, vandal, political activist, and film director, active since the 1990s.
His satirical street art and subversive epigrams combine dark humour with graffiti executed in a distinctive stencilling technique. His works of political and social commentary have been featured on streets, walls, and bridges of cities throughout the world. Banksy's work grew out of the Bristol underground scene, which involved collaborations between artists and musicians.
He's obviously not anonymous anymore, sadly. It was kinda nice to see thought-provoking statements appear out of nowhere.

I love that he did a piece that, when sold at auction, immediately went through a shredder that was pre-built as part of the frame. That's next level fucking with the audience!

There was a Russian guy who did the same anonymous art but he has since died. Long live Banksy!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 880
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 am

My take on the (street) lore.

Banksy is righteous when he paints a public wall.
The thief is righteous too, when he takes it off the wall.
Come the Revolution - the bloke who buys it for a million bucks
will be the first "up against the wall".

Along with Banksy, these days.

:stir:
User avatar
tuktuk
Tourist
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 am
Reputation: 2
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by tuktuk » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:11 am

Bansky is overrated and just copies Blek Le Rat. There are far better artists getting no exposure.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 6699
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 2543
Yemen

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by John Bingham » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:20 pm

j57 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:08 am
What is the injustice issue?
I see one worker taking a smoke break while the other 2 are working.
I had to deal with this issue for years. Staff members who smoked would take breaks while staff members who didn't smoke kept working..
It caused problems.
I was also a smoker. I had a policy that I never smoked at work.
You are assuming these are what? slaves? One is going to have a smoke?
That is supposed to be some kind of message?
What does someone from brooklyn know about life on a plantation?
It's a copy of The Gleaners by Millet. Banksy changed it then stuck it up without permission at an exhibition. Unfortunately the glue wasn't very good and it fell off soon after.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2841
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 452
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by cptrelentless » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:21 pm

jovial fucher wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:02 am
I love that he did a piece that, when sold at auction, immediately went through a shredder that was pre-built as part of the frame. That's next level fucking with the audience!
You know that was just a stunt, right? Everyone was in on it. Also his stuff is stencils made by minions, he's basically a parody of himself.
User avatar
AndyKK
Expatriate
Posts: 2179
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am
Reputation: 501
Cambodia

Re: Banksy- art makes you think

Post by AndyKK » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:46 pm

There is no doubt about Banksy as an Artist of today, there are only exceptions that artists sell their work while they are living, more so, at the price collectors are willing to pay.

Banksy's quotes when the painting went to auction and with a guide price of between £1.5-2 million. 13 minutes later the hammer went down the painting was sold! £9,879,500

"Record price for a Banksy painting set at auction tonight," he wrote. "Shame I didn't still own it."

After Devolved Parliament went on display in March, Banksy wrote on Instagram: "Devolved Parliament. I made this 10 years ago. Bristol museum have just put it back on display to mark Brexit day."

His post ended with the quote: "Laugh now, but one day no-one will be in charge."

Image

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/1 ... ecord-99m/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angsta, Anthony's Weiner, CEOCambodiaNews, Ghostwriter, IraHayes, Splashback and 398 guests