Information pack for British Nationals detained or imprisoned in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Updated 2 September 2021
Contents

Chapter 1: Key points
Chapter 2: Detention conditions in Cambodia
Chapter 3: the Cambodian judicial system
Chapter 4: Additional Information
Annexes
Annex A: financial assistance: how to send Money to the FCDO

Chapter 1: Key points
Overview

If you are a British national and are arrested or detained in another country, consular staff will do what they can to help you, but they cannot interfere with the local justice system, get you out of jail, or pay for services such as a lawyer. Information about who we can help, including the circumstances in which we can assist dual nationals, is available at: Support for British nationals abroad: a guide.

This detention information pack is designed to give you, and your family and friends, information about the local system in Cambodia and who can help.

We welcome feedback to help us improve the information we can provide to others.
Contacting us

If you are arrested or detained in another country:

the authorities should ask whether you want them to contact the British Consulate (and must do so if you want them to)

even if they do not ask, you can make the request yourself, and should do so, particularly if you are charged with a serious offence or need any kind of assistance

friends or family can also contact the local British Consulate or the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) in London on +44 (0)20 7008 1500

In some countries, the authorities might notify the British consulate even if you don’t want anyone to know that you have been arrested. This is because there may be an agreement in place with the British Government which requires a mandatory notification to be made.
Who we are

Consular staff work in the FCDO in London and in British Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates overseas. The British Embassy in Cambodia is located at:

British Embassy Phnom Penh
27-29 Street 75
Sangkat Srah Chak
Khan Daun Penh
Phnom Penh 12201
Cambodia
Tel: +855 (0)61 3000 11 / (0)61 3000 12
You can also contact us by phone 24/7 for help or advice from anywhere in the world by calling the FCDO on +44 (0)20 7008 1500
What we can do

The FCDO can offer you impartial and non-judgemental help. Once notified of your arrest or detention, consular staff will aim to contact you as soon as possible so that we can assess how we can help you. We then aim to provide assistance according to your individual circumstances and local conditions: our priority is to provide assistance to those British nationals overseas that need our help the most.

In Cambodia, notification by the authorities to the Consulate varies and can take place within several days or even weeks.

Once we are notified, we aim to contact you as soon as possible.
We can also:

provide a list of local English-speaking lawyers https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -lawyers–2 and interpreters; [See also section ‘what kind of legal assistance is available?’]

provide general information about the country, detention conditions, and the local legal system

provide general information about the local prison or remand system, including visiting arrangements, mail and censorship, privileges, and welfare services

keep in regular contact with you, either by visiting or by telephone. The frequency of contact will depend on local conditions and your personal circumstances

tell the police or prison doctor, with your permission, about any medical or dental problems, including medication

put you, or your family, in touch with a prisoners’ welfare charity called Prisoners Abroad

in some circumstances we may be able to help take up complaints with the police or prison authorities about ill treatment, personal safety, or discrimination, if you are not treated in line with internationally recognised standards

help to transfer money to you from your friends or family. In places where phone or postal services aren’t available, we can also pass on messages and deliver letters to the prison, but generally we cannot arrange for delivery directly to you

What we can’t do

get you out of prison or detention
help you get special treatment
offer legal advice, start legal proceedings or investigate a crime
pay for any costs as a result of being arrested
forward you packages sent by friends or family
prevent authorities from deporting you after release

More here on what to expect, including this piece of information:
You can be held without charge, in prison, for a maximum of 18 months while the police conduct their investigation.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information pack for British Nationals detained or imprisoned in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What's the point of this? There have barely been any British criminals reported since the authorities made access to the kingdom more difficult.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:41 pm What's the point of this? There have barely been any British criminals reported since the authorities made access to the kingdom more difficult.
Quite a few were busted last night at blue chili
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

And how are Brits in detention supposed to access let alone action this posting?

Or are you taking it upon yourself to be an official Brit detainee prison visitor?

OML
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Or just be a good Brit & abide by the laws.
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by wendyaspinall »

A bit off topic here but I did find the British Consular was very unhelpful when I tried to enquire about my husband Mark Aspinall. They just said that they will pass my message to him. They did not tell me that he was already released. I was really worried to death when I got to know about him being detained recently. Luckily, CEO was able to inform me that he was released.
By the way, if anyone know Mark Aspinall, please let him know I will like very much to get back in touch with him.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

wendyaspinall wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:14 pm A bit off topic here but I did find the British Consular was very unhelpful when I tried to enquire about my husband Mark Aspinall. They just said that they will pass my message to him. They did not tell me that he was already released. I was really worried to death when I got to know about him being detained recently. Luckily, CEO was able to inform me that he was released.
By the way, if anyone know Mark Aspinall, please let him know I will like very much to get back in touch with him.
I'm surprised to hear the British Consular were so unhelpful and disinterested in your request for help. Oh wait, you must be British yourself then? That would make more sense.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Mish :
wendyaspinall
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by wendyaspinall »

xandreu wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:41 pm
wendyaspinall wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:14 pm A bit off topic here but I did find the British Consular was very unhelpful when I tried to enquire about my husband Mark Aspinall. They just said that they will pass my message to him. They did not tell me that he was already released. I was really worried to death when I got to know about him being detained recently. Luckily, CEO was able to inform me that he was released.
I'm surprised to hear the British Consular were so unhelpful and disinterested in your request for help. Oh wait, you must be British yourself then? That would make more sense.
No, I am a Malaysian.
I had to enquire about Mark from Malaysia since
I got separated from Mark in Cambodia. Due to some strange reasons, I was refused entry to UK to be reunited with him more than ten years ago. So, we decided to set off to Thailand and then Cambodia to be together. Unfortunately, we got separated again, which was mostly my fault. I was very worried about him and still wish to get back in touch with him. Also he is still my one and only soul mate. I only feel safe and secure with him. Hope someone can pass a message to him to let him know I have been seeking to get back in touch with him and I am missing him very much. I tried to contact him by phone many times but unable to get through.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

wendyaspinall wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 am
xandreu wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:41 pm
No, I am a Malaysian.
I had to enquire about Mark from Malaysia since
I got separated from Mark in Cambodia. Due to some strange reasons, I was refused entry to UK to be reunited with him more than ten years ago. So, we decided to set off to Thailand and then Cambodia to be together. Unfortunately, we got separated again, which was mostly my fault. I was very worried about him and still wish to get back in touch with him. Also he is still my one and only soul mate. I only feel safe and secure with him. Hope someone can pass a message to him to let him know I have been seeking to get back in touch with him and I am missing him very much. I tried to contact him by phone many times but unable to get through.
You been with him for more than 10 years and you don't have any contact with his friends or family back home? I've known guys who are quicker to show their ma and pa their new girlie bar girlfriend
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic