A very busy day for my smoke detector

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

A very busy day for my smoke detector

Post by Doc67 »

At 08:30 the outside one goes off. Opened the door and the hallway full of smoke. Here we go, I thought. Grabbed the Go-Bag and headed downstairs. There was downstairs lady with a mini-dustbin on fire. I though she was burning rubbish. She pointed to me to turn down my noise making thing and I gestured to her "No" and she should turn down her indoor fire. She put out the fire and I cancelled the noise.

I went out and saw half the city have got one of these bucket fires going on. On my return another piles of ashes in a bowl outside another door and they obviously got another earful of noise.

So, what is going on with the fires and how long is this fire hazard set to last? I have taken in my detector for today but it will be going back out tonight. Is this going to be just a one day affair?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: A very busy day for my smoke detector

Post by atst »

funny you should say that outside our place they were doing the same St148
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Yes it's a holiday where they burn gold paper etc. Pchum Ben isn't until the end of next month though, not sure what today is, but plenty of places are closed.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:45 pm Yes it's a holiday where they burn gold paper etc. Pchum Ben isn't until the end of next month though, not sure what today is, but plenty of places are closed.
Its Hungry Ghost Festival for the Chinese
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Chinese Hungry Ghost Festival

Edit: whoops, just noticed Kuroneko already posted that :thumb:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

How to Celebrate the Hungry Ghost Festival
The Hungry Ghost Festival, also known as the Zhongyuan Festival, marks the time of year when tables are turned and the deceased are believed to visit the living. During the month of the Hungry Ghost Festival, the gates of the afterlife are thrown open and ghosts are free to roam the earth in search of food, entertainment and mischief.

Mark Your Calendars
Hungry Ghost Festival 2019 is August 15, 2019. It takes place every year on the evening of the 15th day of Ghost Month, the 7th month on the lunar calendar.
http://www.chineseamericanfamily.com/hu ... -festival/

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic