Illiteracy in young(ish) Khmers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
DiscoverSEA
Tourist
Great Britain

Illiteracy in young(ish) Khmers

Post by DiscoverSEA »

I was very surprised to meet a girl of 29 in PP who was illiterate, she could neither read or write and used the speak function on her phone to send and hear messages. She was happy with her situation and did not see the need to put effort into learning.

She told me her parents had split when she was a toddler and she had been moved around by various family members who looked after her and never went to school. She said she knew a few English letters but not enough to read or write and could identify some words in both English and Khmer.

She spoke excellent English and had visited that country with her former husband. She was interesting to chat with, very bright indeed, articulate and coped with more difficult sentence construction. I was astonished that, even in a poor country like Cambodia, people were still illiterate.