Kids and school

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Kids and school

Post by atst »

I know of a few kids in thier teens now who haven't been to school since 9 or 10 due to cost of schooling
What's its cost to attend school in the provinces or Phnom Penh and would it benifits sending a young teen back to school they my feel out of place as the other kid's are more advanced
Open for suggestions and recommendations on a school in pp
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Kids and school

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve been going through the process in the last six months-

My assessment- the schools are a perfect example of the corruption and indolence that pervades much of the country’s systems. It’s pretty much down to the individual teacher/head, and their work ethic. Whether it’s a job or a vocation.

Sadly, the costs seem disproportionate to the service received. The few schools that I’ve engaged are providing little more than expensive day care, rather than a learning environment; but that’s for a 4 and 6 year old.

However. If the kid has the basic skills, plus the ever absent discipline, he/she may well have a chance. But I’d say that the school is unlikely to meet the challenge without a lot of money.

We were somewhat constrained by geography and the limitations of my job (I’m not in the country as much as I’d like, and we had a baby on the way), and so the schools that were recommended to me were out of the question.

ELT
One teacher stood out. He was British, and clearly more interested in student aptitude and potential, than strict adherence to tradition.
Sadly, the school board were just arrogant pricks. In a meeting to discuss an English language program, two out of five members of staff present could speak English. Very much oriented towards the upper middle class, well off student, rather than a provincial child.

Camfirst.
English ability of the teachers is irrelevant, according to the school’s administrator. Neither teacher could actually speak English- their entire effort was based on copy and paste from some random text book. No surprise then, that instead of teaching English spelling, they actually were using some Scandinavian variations.
Waste of effort, and zero control over students. Total indifference, and thoroughly insulting attitude from staff.

We’re trying one more at present while I review job options.

I did look into private tutoring, but it’s a problem because I’m simply not here enough.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

atst wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 am I know of a few kids in thier teens now who haven't been to school since 9 or 10 due to cost of schooling
What's its cost to attend school in the provinces or Phnom Penh and would it benifits sending a young teen back to school they my feel out of place as the other kid's are more advanced
Open for suggestions and recommendations on a school in pp
If they are now in their teens they would definitely feel out of place mixing with younger kids. Maybe best to get them into an situation where they can learn a trade that would help them get somewhere in the job market.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Learn a trade hahahaha...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Once they have left school, I normally wouldnt bother with them going back. If you know young people who might stop going to school, encourage them to stay.

Primary school and high school are basically free. The costs are books and uniform.

However, particularly in high school, if they only attend school, they wont learn enough, and will normally fail. To pass they need to attend extra classes. The teachers dont teach them all they need to know at high school, so they have to attend extra classes, and the teachers can make more money.

There are also extra classes for things like English.

If you know people who are very poor. You may help them with books and uniform. I helped one girl with money for a sports uniform, which they wear when they play sports. You may also help them with the cost of extra classes.

Be aware if you are giving out money everybody will tell you they are poor. They will also lie to you and tell you their child does not go to school, or will leave soon. You need to work out who is really poor. One thing is to look at their houses.

Dont give money to a middle man. You will be scammed. Give it to the family.

University costs money. You may also help someone go to university. If they live away from home, there is the cost of living too.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:06 pm Maybe best to get them into an situation where they can learn a trade that would help them get somewhere in the job market.
I agree. There should be more teaching of practical things they can use in the work force.

I know one girl whose father is quite well off financially. She said, he got where he is from hard work. I said, what does he do for work. She said, he is an air conditioning mechanic. It makes sense to me.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

I always go to see the school during hours of operation. Expect the unexpected. Price doesn't dictate results. Agreed it would be good to have concentrated skills after reading, writing, arithmetic . Also, Chinese is a good option with English and Khmer. Asked my 8 year old son what he wanted to do when he is older. He said a tuk tuk driver. We had a little talk about higher expectations afterwards. Looking at a few music schools for him to learn guitar, drums, and piano too.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Thanks very much for your comments and they confirm my opinion yes it's a waste of time going down the road of education best trying get them onto a job somewhere that isn't going to exploit them
Over here thats very hard unless you are the employer which sadly I'm not
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kids need to get a decent education before they decide whether they want to get into a trade or do something more academic. National schools here vary wildly in quality, there are ones like Sisowath High School that have very nice facilities and plenty of private donors to pay for new sports pitches etc. The average one is not that good at all though, and as you get further into the sticks and remote areas less so again. Many kids in the capital will go to a national school for half the day and then a private school
(often to learn a language) for the other part.
Actual International schools with full-time programs and accredited curriculums are not at all cheap, you are talking from $6000 PA to maybe $25,000.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Schooling isn't only about academic learning. I know plenty of kids in the provinces who have stopped and started school and mostly they are really happy to go back to school. It gives them goals and a social place.
In your case, I don't know, but if the kids are underprivileged and motivated you could try an NGO school where there would be all sorts and ages.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic