Shithanoukville!!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
stroodsue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Shithanoukville!!!!

Post by stroodsue »

Oh my god!
I am soooooooo glad I took your advise and only stopped one night!
Lovely wee place, Om Home, going back there for one night on Friday again!

That is one shit hole right enough!
Chinese prostitutes and a whole lot of MESS!
Place looks worse than Syria after a bombing raid!

Anyhoo! Speed ferry Cambodia to Koh Rong was nice and quick! First stop was ours Coconut Beach!

WOWZER, stark contrast, so beautiful! Been for a walk over to Dawn Thkov, had lovely afternoon with a family having beers!

Once again thanks for that!

I will definitely be leaving review on Tripadvisor

Sue
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Shithanoukville!!!!

Post by Duncan »

stroodsue wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 am Oh my god!
I am soooooooo glad I took your advise and only stopped one night!
Lovely wee place, Om Home, going back there for one night on Friday again!

That is one shit hole right enough!
Chinese prostitutes and a whole lot of MESS!
Place looks worse than Syria after a bombing raid!

Anyhoo! Speed ferry Cambodia to Koh Rong was nice and quick! First stop was ours Coconut Beach!

WOWZER, stark contrast, so beautiful! Been for a walk over to Dawn Thkov, had lovely afternoon with a family having beers!

Once again thanks for that!

I will definitely be leaving review on Tripadvisor

Sue

Translate it to Chinese before you post it.. otherwise the 6 billion Chinese tourist coming this year will not know what you are talking about.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I wasn’t gobsmacked; a well worn phrase- I’m not surprised, but still have the capacity to be disappointed.

What few reasonable roads that existed just over a year ago are now gone. It’s simply a mass, unmade building site all over, more than ever, which a year ago was slightly hard to imagine. We stopped there three days ago for all of 3 hours, before catching the motorboat to Koh Rong.
Chinese labourers simply doing whatever they feel, wherever.
A nearby bar that may once have been a fun and lively place is surely destined for utter ruin.
Just about every shop that I visited had some makeshift piece of timber over a trench to access it.
Stopped in at a Pharmacy- turned out to be run by a Chinese, with some seriously tired looking Khmer girl doing clean up. I was made to feel totally unwelcome by the Chinese proprietor who seemed suspicious of my every move. I only wanted a spare baby bottle!
And it appears that the military (the PRC’s Khmer garrison of road building) are directly involved in the shambles. Or are they all moonlighting, in uniform, using government trucks?

Sadly, it seems one must transit shitsville to get to the islands.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Well there is money to be made cleaning up the absolute shithole the Chinese left.

The Prime Minister made a great decision in outlawing online gambling.

I made money supplying the hardware for the systems, although my partner at Terrasyss really creamed it.

No-one really foresaw the 'gangster' side of it, which ruined the rosy outlook.

Now Is the time to start bidding on the roads, sewage, electricity distribution.

So, it's not all bad....

Silver lining if you like..
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Please, the accepted name is "Shitsville".
Also, you say Chinese prostitutes as if it were a bad thing.
The boards to get to the shops is because they're widening the roads.
I find the Chinese shipowners to be both friendly and fair. 1500 riel of laundry detergent costs 1500 riel, just like the package says. Two beers, with a "1 can" ring pull is 2000 riel, not $1 like the shop next door.
I have no issue with the Chinese, they're people just like anyone else.
up to you...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Clemen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:03 pm Please, the accepted name is "Shitsville".
I find the Chinese shipowners to be both friendly and fair. 1500 riel of laundry detergent costs 1500 riel, just like the package says. Two beers, with a "1 can" ring pull is 2000 riel, not $1 like the shop next door.

That's good news for car owners, now all we need is good news for the pedestrians with wider footpaths to be built. Cities that are people friendly put people first, not cars first and I think a few cities in Europe are already in that '' people friendly '' mode.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:14 pm
Clemen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:03 pm Please, the accepted name is "Shitsville".

That's good news for car owners, now all we need is good news for the pedestrians with wider footpaths to be built. Cities that are people friendly put people first, not cars first and I think a few cities in Europe are already in that '' people friendly '' mode.
I love to walk. I don't know if pedestrians will be accommodated. Logistically it would seem difficult as shops have lost their outdoor seating, moto parking, and garbage storage areas.
up to you...
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

It’s been Shitsville for years, people used to get wound up and defend the place but seems everyone has come around.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Clemen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:14 pm

I love to walk. I don't know if pedestrians will be accommodated. Logistically it would seem difficult as shops have lost their outdoor seating, moto parking, and garbage storage areas.
Plan at least is that pedestrians will have their own walk way. And bicyclist have their own path too where there is room.

Road towards Independence beach

Render:
Work in progress last week:

The sokha kink render:
Work in progress:

Also behind Otres beach the sand road is being converted into promenade / bicycle path and car access will be blocked.

How will it end up in reality. We have to wait and see...
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I have no issue with the Chinese, they're people just like anyone else.
Shitsville or Chinoukville :beer3:

1500 Riel for laundry - that's a damn bargain.

Beer sellers who honor the ring pull winners :thumb:

Beer sellers who don't honor are fairly prevalent among some sour faced lemon sucking grasping greedy local ladies even in my area.

Had one even complain when I wanted a free case after buying all my beers from her and saving the pulls.

She had the audacity to say I had only bought 2 boxes, whereas in fact it was 8, as old Mish keeps his cans for his wife to exchange with the edgie ladies.

Then she threw the box down on the chair in front of my Khmer friends, making our beer sour and demanding 6$ instead of 3$

So now she gets fuck all and my wife and children don't buy any of her other goodies, so she is missing out for her silly stunt.

Agree the Chinese - there are a great many good ones all around and all will be good once the 'gangster' element have been driven out of the country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic