Potential robbery/kidnapping?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Whizzcat
Tourist
Singapore

Potential robbery/kidnapping?

Post by Whizzcat »

Was in Siem Reap about 3 days back and this incident really vexes me. Hailed a tuk tuk (a white PassApp tuk-tuk, licence plate: 1 AF 2731) from Pub Street and told the driver to take us to the National Museum to which he quotes us '2 USD'. I said okay and got into the vehicle with a friend. The driver then immediately called someone and i heard him say the words 'National Museum'.

A couple of minutes later, while on the road, something just didn't feel right so i checked Google Maps only to realize that we were hurtling at top speed in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION from the National Museum (we were on the expressway of Route 6, near Cambodian Cultural Village by then). I grabbed the driver's shoulder, told him to stop and showed him on GMaps exactly where we intended to go to. He just smiled, barely looked at the map and said 'sorry, sorry'. The driver turned around and knew EXACTLY how to get to the National Museum from there.

Am i over-thinking this or were my friend and i in some real danger? I sure hope this doesn't happen to others as he's still out there. Took down his licence plate number as a precaution and wanted to report him but was told that the cops there are pretty useless.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Potential robbery/kidnapping?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You are definitely over thinking this, you were in no danger. He was most likely just taking you the long way and was then going to charge you extra foe the privilege.

Tuk-tuk drivers do not conspire with criminal gangs to kidnap tourists!
:facepalm:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Not only y do tuktuks conspire to kidnap tourists they also have a secret society of elite tuktuk drivers. They can be spotted by their use of secret handshakes, wearing the shirts rollled up to expose their stomachs and by the plants and other paraphernalia they decorate their vehicles with.

They are in cahoots with another secret organisation too, The Brotherhood of Police. So be warned!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Just input the destination next time. He might not have spoken much English and didn't understand, but most likely was trying to get more $$$ by going the long way around as mentioned. Worst case scenario could have been setting you up for a phone snatcher, but unlikely.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Good on ya for following your gut instinct sometimes when thing's just don't feel right best to act as you did or get away
Maybe nothing but could also be moterbike robbery I'd report it if it not much trouble you have his number and experience dealing with the cop's could be entertaining to say the least
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tuk tuk drivers are the salt of the earth and the soul of cambodia.
Neither expat nor tourist can hold a candle to these sweet natured saints.

https://www.movetocambodia.com/living-i ... y-tuk-tuk/
Jun 20, 2019 - Tuk-tuks are (always) the best travel option so hire one for the whole day

https://www.visit-angkor.org/blog/2018/ ... reap-tips/
Oct 14, 2018 - The Cambodian motorcycle rickshaw – the Tuk Tuk – is for me the best vehicle in Siem Reap and its surroundings.

https://www.gapyear.com/articles/travel ... n-cambodia
Riding around the city on tuk-tuks is a boundless joy.

(written and spoken by SAAlbifrons on behalf of the United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My first time in Cambodia and in a tuk TUK in Siem Reap he stopped at petrol station asked for $10 to fill up then later dumped me and my mate long way from our hotel because we wouldn't commit to him giving us a tour around Ankor the next day he wanted $90 he also offered to sell us drug's
That was our welcome to Cambodia experience

Over the years Ive come to know many wonderful TUK TUK drivers and not so many nasty ones also
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Did he cough? If he coughed, it was probably a robbery.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:35 pm Did he cough? If he coughed, it was probably a robbery.
Hahaha funny you should say that whenever my girlfriend going to say something I'm not going to like mostly asking for $$ she coughs first
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

He called someone and said "national museum" probably asking what the fuck it was. :stir:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic