What to do About Crimes Against Children in Cambodia ?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

What to do About Crimes Against Children in Cambodia ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

I just read this and I'm leaving it here for discussion because I think it's a cause for concern, but I don't have any answers straight off. It's a huge subject and IMO is a reflection on society as a whole. And no, I don't think that stringing up the bastards will fix the problem.
Good night for now.

June 5, 2019
Recent crimes against children raise concern among citizens
Sen David / Khmer Times Share:

Recent cases of brutal crimes against children have raised concerns among citizens in the Kingdom, with some calling for harsher punishments for those found guilty.

On May 29, the bloodied bodies of two children were found by their father at their home in Preah Sihanouk province. A suspect accused of raping one of the children and killing her and her brother was caught by police after he spent four days on the run.

On May 24, a villager in Prey Veng province found the body of a nine-year-old child floating in a pond. Police suspect that the child was killed after she was sexually assaulted.

According to Articles 202 and 505 of the Criminal Code, murder with aggravating circumstances carries a sentence of up to 30 years, while murder accompanied by torture, cruelty and rape carries a life sentence.

Ly Soung, a 55-year-old vendor, today said the recent crimes involving children were cruel.

“I feel the pain even though they’re not my children – I know the feeling of a parent who lost their children to cruelness,” Ms Soung said.

“Please don’t keep a child at home alone. It is not safe for children,” Ms Soung added.

Bun Thyda, a 19-year-old university student, said it is difficult to trust strangers. Thus, parents must closely look after their children and avoid contact with strangers.

“Due to alcohol and drug addiction and poverty, perpetrators dare to commit rape and murder on small children,” Ms Thyda said, adding that she wants to see perpetrators be severely punished.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50611197/r ... -citizens/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: What to do About Crimes Against Children in Cambodia ?

Post by hanno »

Of course it is horrendous but I do not think it has gotten worse; it has always been very bad. I seem to have been reading about terrible crimes committed against children for a long time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic