Come on Down, The Price is Right!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Come on Down, The Price is Right!

Post by Doc67 »

This painting is currently hanging in a café in Phnom Penh. The photo does it great justice because up close it looks a bit patchy. I have no artistic skills, taste or knowledge, but I can paint this, and in a nicer colour. If this sells I am going to start painting.

It has a name tag to the side and it is called "Absolute Emerald" and this 'gem' was painted in 2018.

Just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much the owners are asking for this piece? The nearest to the price get a prize; a reputation point and possibly more from the other contestants.

Go on, have a guess...

(If you know where it is and the price, no spoilers)

pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Come on Down, The Price is Right!

Post by pissontheroof »

It looks kinda cheap .. 🤷🏽‍♀️
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

better than what's on tv
HILD-CEO
Tourist
Norway

Post by HILD-CEO »

That is not emerald.
I think perhaps the irregular patches of colour may be intentional. Or that is what the artist will tell you if you mention this.
What size is this piece? That will impact on the price (sometimes. I know the Mona Liza is small)

I will guess it is $75. Even that is too much.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

If was taking a guess, i would say that the backside is probably worth even more.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Its quite big, 1.4m x 2.2 metres. Described as acrylic on canvas.

The bid of $75 is maybe the costs of materials. It's nowhere near the asking price...
Last edited by Doc67 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HILD-CEO
Tourist
Norway

Post by HILD-CEO »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:21 pm If was taking a guess, i would say that the backside is probably worth even more.
Perhaps the value is in the name tag.
HILD-CEO
Tourist
Norway

Post by HILD-CEO »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:24 pm Its quite big, 1.4m x 2.2 metres. Described as acrylic on canvas.

The bid of $75 is maybe the costs of materials. It's nowhere near the asking price...
Then the world has gone mad. So often this is the case with art. For the size, I would increase my guess to $195. Unless this piece is painted by someone of great credit, no person should pay more for it. If they do they are the victim of a sales conman.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

it's a Banksy and somebody has already lifted it ??
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I'm pretty sure that's the drop cloth I used when I painted the loo, i don't want it back
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic