Solar bicycle lights with horn 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Solar bicycle lights with horn 2

Post by explorer »

I have been using these for a few months now. I think this is the way of the future. It wont be long before a lot of people have them. However, some things to consider.

With the hot weather in Cambodia, some people may not go out in the sun. However, it is not difficult to leave your bike in the sun.

It is common to put the tail light under the seat. It needs to be put where it is exposed to sunlight. I have made up my own support to put it behind the carrier/pannier.

I have had one headlight fail. Water got in around the on/off button. In the future I may seal them with silicone sealer.

In the future I may get a electric bike. I still plan to use solar lights. If the bike comes with a bright headlight, I will probably have both.

I have two solar headlights. If the battery goes flat in one, I can use the other one. Until now even one has not gone flat. But it would if you used it long enough.

They use small lithium ion batteries. People with the skills could theoretically add one or more larger lithium ion batteries, and enable them to work for a long time.

In the future, I will probably have more of these to use as flashlights.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Original post - edited

If you use a bicycle for transport, at some time you are likely to be out after dark. So to be safe you need lights. I have used various bicycle lights in the past.

The latest lights I am trying are solar lights, which recharge the battery when exposed to sunlight. It seems, if they are exposed to sunlight for 2 hours or more in a day, the batteries should be fully charged. So you dont have to worry about recharging batteries. Anyone thinking about bicycle lights, this is an option worth considering.

The headlights also have a built in horn (some models dont). A horn is also beneficial for safety.

I bought them on ebay. I have not seen them for sale in Cambodia.

Anyone putting lights on a bike, consider theft. They may get stolen. I will probably secure them so they cant be removed without a screwdriver or knife. They may still get stolen.

Here are some pictures.

The headlight can also be recharged via USB if you keep your bike in the dark.

Check them out on ebay. There are different models.

The solar tail lights cost less than US$3.

The solar headlights with horn cost less than US$10.

They are light weight.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##