Lek had anxieties about moving to the U.S.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Lek had anxieties about moving to the U.S.

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Lek's visa was accepted and her fiance sent her a few hundred dollars for travel and associated costs. She quit her job and moved to the U.S. From that point onwards, she was expected to rely financially on her partner.

"I never wanted him to support me but being ineligible to work put me in a vulnerable position. I'm also concerned that my English isn't good enough to communicate confidently," she says through a translator. She intended to study English and get work at a hair salon or a similar job, but after just a few months Lek revealed that the relationship had deteriorated.

"He earned enough to support us both comfortably, but I relied on him for daily tasks a lot so it was a toxic addition to our relationship because he was only interested in caring for me under his terms. Whatever worked for him had to work for me," she says.

Lek says the relationship became physically and sexually abusive and, looking back, he had used coercive control to isolate her and stopped her making friends.

But with no income, she was unable to leave. And if she did leave it could take several weeks to arrange a flight back to Cambodia.

"When I felt the relationship was over, my second thought was 'you can't afford to lose this relationship, you have nowhere to go'."
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Lek had anxieties about moving to the U.S.

Post by Grand Barong »

Image]
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sounds just like George’s daughter in law’s life story.

Opened an interesting discussion with missus.

Thank you, OP.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Glad you are interested. The rest of us, not so much.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Still more interesting read than antiChin bashing or "Name a scammer" thread.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I don’t understand.
It’s just random.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Last night I posted a short story about being young, free and promiscuous. I'm sure you all have similar tales from your youth. But no I just get trolled. If you don't want to read or you don't like the story move on to the next.

A newsstory about an Khmer/Western couple struggling with anxiety and frustration. I've posted this same story elsewhere and it prompted some interesting discussions on coercion, adapting to the changes in environment and adjusting accordingly over time. On here mostly jibes, jabbering and jibberish responses.

A story about being a new parent and how one relaxes when given the choice for a couple of hours rest. Yes, it was a girly bar, but so what? Haven't you ever been to a bar with female workers? The same guys trolling. With the odd comment from an interested well-mannered poster. Like I said in another post, continue like this and you'll scare all the positive and friendly people off of this site.

A report on a visa and a passport fuxk up. My experiences working with the institutions which control our lives. A lot of useful information here. Also stories last week on hospital stays, life in the provinces and blood disorders common in SE Asia. No trolling in those posts, but no insightful comments either.

I can handle negativity and will respond with a humorous retort if you're lucky 😜 I guess that shows that the majority on here are hellbent on winding people up, but can't take stick themselves. The minority are too scared to post or are just news junkies. There's a few people like me, who wish to share experiences, probably only a few due to the current online chat and forum climate and don't wish to be trolled all the time.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@OP I think posters have reacted negatively because your message here is confused, the writing is fine, but what do you actually want to convey to the forum ? What is the point of your message ?

Is this a short fiction? Is it supposed to interpel CEO posters about their own experiences moving abroad with a Cambodian woman ? Is it a personal philosophical moment that you want to express, or something that you saw on social media and want to share ?
I think that CEO posters would be more onboard if they knew what you want to discuss. ie. "I read this, what do you think ? " or "This happened to me (or someone I know), what are your experiences ?"

I think that the negative posts come from the fact that you have said too much ( personal stuff ) without giving a clue what kind of reaction is appropriate. Like if you go into a bar where you know nobody, and you tell everyone there loads of personal stories about yourself without further introduction, then most people there will probably go " Woah, WTMI", but you might find a couple of guys who will get what you are trying to say.

That's my 2c. :dm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic