oops... its a hacker...?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
potty
Expatriate

oops... its a hacker...?

Post by potty »

there is someone on the private wifi here.. fucking it really up in a way, that there is zilch chance to do anything anymore...

today, the password was changed, and the network name was slightly changed as well... it helped for some hours...

but at 09:15pm he was back :/ ...mac address B4-F0-AB-A0-91-0C

what can be done ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: oops... its a hacker...?

Post by StroppyChops »

That's not a 'hacker', that's a 'camper', and whoever controls the WiFi router can block specific MAC addresses using the router's utility (usually through a browser)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

big stuff, thanks... is it also possible to permit only specific MAC-addresses ? would be easiest...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Yes - but this needs thought and planning so you don't lock yourself out of your own router as you do it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I think I was having the same problem. The light on the router was flashing even when my computer was off or I was not using it. Now I just unplug or turn the router off if I am going away for more than a day.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

just reset the router usually using a paperclip (google model) change the factory defaults, password and wep minimum.

not rocket science.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

No point in MAC restrictions. MAC is broadcasted in plaintext in the air and is easily spoofed.

All WiFi encryption methods have been cracked successfully. There is currently no security for wireless connections if your adversary has the resources (time and Google) available. At least use WPA2-PSK, _long_ complex password and don't broadcast SSID. Forget WPE.

Again, this won't protect you if your adversary has the resources available. Perhaps at least you can make yourself a hard enough target to not make it worthwile to target you, unless of course they are interested in you specifically.

Limiting your WiFi signal range may simply remove him from the equation completely.

Let me know if you need help. I am happy to travel to your access point to drink some free beer and kick some script kiddie ass.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i bet she had factory defaults configured.

who would bother for free network if work was involved
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

frank lee bent wrote:i bet she had factory defaults configured.

who would bother for free network if work was involved
it's not really work.... you run a program and walk away. an hour later you come back and their password is sitting in front of you.

easier it it's one of those "push the button on the router to connect" types. even if it's turned off, it's got a huge security hole that lets you get the password in just a click or two.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Change the SSID and stop broadcasting it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic