Job offer in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
imteyazahmad
Tourist
India

Job offer in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by imteyazahmad »

Hello Members,

I got an opportunity to work as a Project Manager in construction industry for an mnc in their Phonm Penh office located in Sangkat Boeung Kak 1. They have offered around $1800 a month all in and they expect me to start from first week of August.
In internet search about the cost of living in PP and noticed that 1BR apartment in any part of town is $400-$600. I am planning to live near to the office. Also, I read some negative things about being there like mosquitos, flooding, traffic, electricity shortage, theft, petty crimes etc. Going through some of the threads here was a bit discouraging in regards to relocate to PP. I am post graduate from Georgia Tech. Right now i am a bit confused whether to accept this offer or not?

Please share your thoughts/advice if it is a good package? My lifestyle is not very lavish but i plan to have a quite and nice 1BR apartment near to office (15 mins drive max.), a part-time maid for cleaning and cooking, eating out couple of days a week, travel to other parts of the country or neighboring states once or twice a month. And also what do you think of prospect of construction industry in Cambodia, is it developing/sustainable, especially in terms of getting opportunity to expats.
TIA :hattip:
Firefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Job offer in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Firefly »

The monthly wage should cover your needs just fine but whether it is a fair wage for construction in PP I don't know, hopefully someone with experience in that area will turn up. There sure is a lot of building going on, the country will keep on growing and with it, quality.

Have you been to South East Asia before? Do you know about the history of Cambodia? :hattip:
'What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.' Charles Bukowski
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Dude, you can get a three bed apt for under $300.

Just don't do your shopping for apartments online.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Dude, you can get a three bed apt for under $300.

Just don't do your shopping for apartments online.
Western style? Furnished? In BKK 1? And for under $300? Take a pic and show proof that it exists.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

after tax's? Visa/WP included?
a nice 1 bedroom, fully furnished with maid in a nice building will cost ya $4-500/ so if u go on rent should be around 25% of ur total income.......
thats a good living salary for one person, you wont save anything or live high on the hog, but will look good on ur resume and give ya some experience in SE asia.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Power outages something to remember when finding an apartment. Generator a must have. You might tell yourself a few hours here and there, no electric, you can handle it. Why bother. Find an apartment with generator. You won't be sorry
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

imteyazahmad wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 pm Hello Members,

I got an opportunity to work as a Project Manager in construction industry for an mnc in their Phonm Penh office located in Sangkat Boeung Kak 1. They have offered around $1800 a month all in and they expect me to start from first week of August.
What's $ 1.800 all in?

They pay for paperwork (work permit, medical check, visa about 400$ a year)?
Medical insurance?
Income tax?
Flights in and out?
Bonuses?

<edit>
If it's just 1.800 and the rest is at your own expense then I'm not sure the deal's that great. You will spend at least 1 month's salary on relocating and paperwork, and your monthly salary after tax will be about 1.500-1.550.
</edit>
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

You need to google 7 reasons why you really shouldn’t move to Cambodia. You’re welcome.

Any decent apartment in BKK is $500+. More like $800+ for something genuinely nice.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Boeung Kak 1 is not Boeung Keng Kong.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Post grad from Georgia Tech and you want to move to this place?

I'd advise you to avoid it, and reject the offer. I don't know you or your style but many times this place can either eat you alive, or make you wish it had.

Whatever you're being told by the company, don't believe it. There are subtle nuances regarding work permits, travel, visas, housing, none of which will please you.

But if you're hoping to distance yourself from an ex, find warm weather and shitloads of obnoxious fucking Chinese idiots, a ready supply of hard drugs, and no outdoor parks, then this place could be right for you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic