Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 954
Cambodia

Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by clutchcargo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:19 pm

I came across this article about electric rickshaws in India which apparently are taking off, cheaper and cleaner on the environment. Made me wonder whether the indian tuktuks that run on gas here will move to electric?

Full story https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/tech ... kshaw.html

India’s million e-rickshaws make up the second-largest collection of electric vehicles in the world. Only China’s fleet of several hundred million electric motorcycles and bicycles is bigger.

In the country’s northern cities, where e-rickshaws are concentrated, the vehicles are supplanting auto-rickshaws, the better-known three-wheelers that serve as neighborhood taxis, seat up to three people and run on diesel, gasoline or natural gas.

E-rickshaws reduce air pollution in places like New Delhi, one of the world’s smoggiest cities. Officials there now offer a subsidy of 30,000 rupees, or about $425, to drivers who buy new ones.

As the vehicles’ popularity has grown, Indian companies have tweaked the original Chinese designs. New brands like Saarthi, one of the biggest manufacturers of e-rickshaws in the Delhi area, have emerged, as has an ecosystem of parts suppliers and neighborhood parking lots where drivers can store and recharge their vehicles overnight.

Image
The start-up SmartE operates a fleet of about 1,000 e-rickshaws in the Delhi area, charging them overnight at its own parking lots.

The central government is now trying to force motorcycle and auto-rickshaw makers to go all-electric, too. It just cut taxes on electric vehicles and has proposed subsidies for batteries and charging stations. Along with those carrots is a stick: a requirement that all new three-wheeled vehicles be electric by 2023 and that two-wheeled ones meet that goal by 2025.
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 10282
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 1736
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by Username Taken » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:26 pm

And, where does the power come from to charge the batteries? Hopefully it's something like solar rather than coal-fired power station.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 430
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:33 pm

The United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild fully supports this development.
Where do our drivers pick up the $425 cash subsidy so we can get started?
('promise)
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 363
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by pczz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 pm

Username Taken wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:26 pm
And, where does the power come from to charge the batteries? Hopefully it's something like solar rather than coal-fired power station.
No its coming from chinese hydropower, assumeing we have enogh rain! the electicity supply in Cambodia is not curently up to the job
User avatar
Spigzy
Expatriate
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
Reputation: 313
Great Britain

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by Spigzy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am

I always think that the time required to recharge these electric vehicles is an absurd waste of time. Should work well here!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1358
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by Duncan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Spigzy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am
I always think that the time required to recharge these electric vehicles is an absurd waste of time. Should work well here!


Well I always thought a electric tuk-tuk that sits around all day waiting for a passenger should have a solar panel on the roof. Most would / could have a battery big enough to last through the night.

Make money while the sun shines so the saying goes.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
IraHayes
Expatriate
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am
Reputation: 378
Marshall Islands

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by IraHayes » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:41 pm

The dirty secret of electric vehicles

And the Amnesty International report they mention

Then of course there is the pollution generated in the pursuit of renewable energy

And just like the The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 innovation in the free market will find a way to make this problem go away NOT more government intervention!
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 482
Cambodia

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by Kammekor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Duncan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm
Spigzy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am
I always think that the time required to recharge these electric vehicles is an absurd waste of time. Should work well here!


Well I always thought a electric tuk-tuk that sits around all day waiting for a passenger should have a solar panel on the roof. Most would / could have a battery big enough to last through the night.

Make money while the sun shines so the saying goes.
The problem is solar doesn’t generate that much. 1 sqm can generate about 180 W. So per tuk tuk that would be how much with a safe installation? 50 W? 80 W?. That’ll be enough to burn the lights and charge/run his cellphone and add very little juice to the battery.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 6377
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1358
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by Duncan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Kammekor wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm
Duncan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm
Spigzy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am
I always think that the time required to recharge these electric vehicles is an absurd waste of time. Should work well here!


Well I always thought a electric tuk-tuk that sits around all day waiting for a passenger should have a solar panel on the roof. Most would / could have a battery big enough to last through the night.

Make money while the sun shines so the saying goes.
The problem is solar doesn’t generate that much. 1 sqm can generate about 180 W. So per tuk tuk that would be how much with a safe installation? 50 W? 80 W?. That’ll be enough to burn the lights and charge/run his cellphone and add very little juice to the battery.

Is that per hour or over 8 hours of sitting in the sun ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 482
Cambodia

Re: Will electric tuktuks come to Cambodia?

Post by Kammekor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Per hour per sqm. So to power a 1 kW engine constantly during daytime you’d need about 8 sqm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bad Mongo, Cinnamoncat, Clemen, Dazle, Google [Bot], IraHayes, Kammekor, Moe, Spigzy, Sweet Lemon, taabarang, timmydownawell, yongchi and 213 guests