Stray Dogs to be Rounded Up on Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloen

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Stray Dogs to be Rounded Up on Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloen

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Announcement posted on social media today.

⚠️ FOR DOGS OWNERS⚠️

Translation from a khmer person:

Warning to all the owner of dogs at koh rong and koh rong sanloem: the governor of koh rong samloen says that all need to keep the dog with the lead or in a cave or in the place, not to be free without the owner. Any dog seen walking around free will be taken away without asking the owner and the owner can not get the dog back. Between 2 and 30 September the dogs are to be prepared to go at the lead with the owner. Starting 1 October the governor will start to take all dogs seen walking free away. I just got the paper from the chief that will be given to the local people and was asked to translate for the foreigners.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Stray Dogs to be Rounded Up on Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloen

Post by Jerry Atrick »

That'll cut down on canine gonfundme bullshit
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I was sitting in front of a shop a few days ago. A man got out of a car with a bag of meat, and walked down the road, seeing who wanted to buy some. I was told by a girl in the shop, it was dog meat. I said, Cambodians like dog meat. She said no, it is repulsive, many people dont like it, only some people like it. I said, where does he get the dogs. She said, he buys them.

Which makes me wonder, how many of these people catch stray dogs?

It is an improvement if Cambodians get rid of stray dogs.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jrjrjr »

it's a case for michael chour, the nicest guy in the world ! he rescues dogs from scumbags butchers in Cambodia
https://www.facebook.com/thesoundofanimals/
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

explorer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm I was sitting in front of a shop a few days ago. A man got out of a car with a bag of meat, and walked down the road, seeing who wanted to buy some. I was told by a girl in the shop, it was dog meat. I said, Cambodians like dog meat. She said no, it is repulsive, many people dont like it, only some people like it. I said, where does he get the dogs. She said, he buys them.

Which makes me wonder, how many of these people catch stray dogs?

It is an improvement if Cambodians get rid of stray dogs.
There's a saik piseh stand at your local market, that''s for sure. They come from dog farmers I was told. It's only yokels who eat strays.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

From facebook today:
Sihanoukville Animal Welfare- Cambodia

A letter from Mr Cheun Chantha, chief of KRS and Koh Touch sangkat has been given to locals and foreigners advising them to keep their dogs away from the perimeter of several villages and beaches. A notice clearly stating to do this by the end of September or the animals will be forcibly removed by the local authorities. The situation has become out of control with a large number of dogs wandering loose around very busy areas with tourists and locals, often with reports of people being bitten or attacked, dog fights and dog waste laying around. Understandably many people are very upset, confused and unsure how to proceed. However Mr Chantha and other authorities decision is understandable too. We foreigners know this well as nowhere in the west dogs would be allowed to roam freely in public areas like this at all. Seems like a lot of the frustration and upset around this issue comes from lack of clear guidelines. A group of concerned people had a meeting in M’pai bai with several authorities and police to clarify some points and it would be a good idea to have a second one to make sure all is well understood. The authorities do not want any loose dogs roaming the villages and public beaches, that is very clear but “I believe” if you contain your animals within your properties and homes and walk them on a lead if possible away from very busy tourists spots it should be perfectly ok to keep your animals with you. Here are some suggestions: 🐾 keep your animals within your property, garden, yard. If it’s not fenced get a long 3 meter chain to keep your animal from running away, make sure to provide a shaded space with plenty of water. 🐾 Get a collar and lead and take your animals for walks as often as possible. Always on the lead while walking in public areas. If taken away into forest away from people and houses it will be possible to let your animals off lead. 🐾 Vaccinate your animals, specially for RABIES but highly recommend all “Core Vaccinations” (many of you know how devastating Parvo and Distemper are) and keep the boosters up to date, keep track of them in their medical booklet. 🐾 When walking your animals carry a plastic bag to collect their waste, don’t leave it laying around. 🐾 Desex your animals. This is the only way to control over population and avoid an array of sexualy transmitted illnesses like TVT commonly seen here. 🐾 Be a responsible animal owner. Your animals should be ok if we all follow these basic routines. With all this said and potentially done our biggest concern, as rescuers, is for the fate of the real stray dogs in this situation and how we can help them. I would like to discuss this with the community and see what we can all do together. 🙏. A translation into Khmer will be added here shortly.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

In Bali for decades they would just put out a warning and a few days later the cops would come out and shoot all the strays on the spot. Not sure if they still do it this way. last time i heard was only about 5 years ago.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm I said, Cambodians like dog meat. She said no, it is repulsive, many people dont like it, only some people like it.
I wonder what it is that makes a person come out with a statement like "Cambodians like dog meat". When I first noticed the practice, and I have to admit it took me a long time to notice, I asked people if they ate it. Most said they thought it was disgusting and they would never touch it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:03 am
explorer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm I said, Cambodians like dog meat. She said no, it is repulsive, many people dont like it, only some people like it.
I wonder what it is that makes a person come out with a statement like "Cambodians like dog meat". When I first noticed the practice, and I have to admit it took me a long time to notice, I asked people if they ate it. Most said they thought it was disgusting and they would never touch it.
My experience is the same. I don't think you can generalise that "Cambodians like dog meat". The people that I've talked to about eating dogs have all told me that they would not eat them. There was a dog meat restaurant close to where I was living a few years back and locals warned me about it.

However, there are some people that do, that's for sure, or there wouldn't be dog meat restaurants. I was told it was mostly Vietnamese people, but I also saw Khmer customers there, and I don't suppose that all Vietnamese people eat dogs either. At the most, you can say that "some Asian people eat dogs".

I remember one time when a dog was growling at a man for some reason, people told me that he was a dog eater. I don't know if that was true or not, but they believed that dogs recognise people who eat dogs. Said they smell different.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic