Watch Out for Dog Snatchers in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Watch Out for Dog Snatchers in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Watch Out for Dog Snatchers in Phnom Penh

Post by DaveG »

Great with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

:stir:
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

I gotta be super drunk to eat dog again.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Found it!!!

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Maybe the thread title would better read:

"Watch out for free meal opportunists in PP" :ugeek:
PhnomPenhPat
Tourist
United States of America

Post by PhnomPenhPat »

Westerners and well-off Khmers are paying up to $500 for these dog breeds now. I doubt they are being cooked on the BBQ. I'm sure they can get good money selling them back to high-end pet shops. I seem to remember that I worked with someone who had her dog stolen from the first floor balcony of her apartment while she was asleep. Unfortunately, the locals have realised that they can get good money for dogs that are not the regular breed found wondering the streets.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

PhnomPenhPat wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:06 am Westerners and well-off Khmers are paying up to $500 for these dog breeds now. I doubt they are being cooked on the BBQ. I'm sure they can get good money selling them back to high-end pet shops. I seem to remember that I worked with someone who had her dog stolen from the first floor balcony of her apartment while she was asleep. Unfortunately, the locals have realised that they can get good money for dogs that are not the regular breed found wondering the streets.
If the dogs are wandering the streets, in my opinion, you are welcome to them. I wish someone would take my neighbour's (?) dogs, he doesn't t take care of them and they tear my garbage apart and shit on my lawn. Soi dogs and "no owner" dogs are a huge pain in the ass, half of them should be put out of their misery and the other half spayed or neutered.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

In South Korea, there is a distinction between dogs for food and dogs for pets. Dogs for food are bred and raised on farms, like cows, chickens, etc. Pet dogs are never eaten and food dogs are never seen.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:25 am In South Korea, there is a distinction between dogs for food and dogs for pets. Dogs for food are bred and raised on farms, like cows, chickens, etc. Pet dogs are never eaten and food dogs are never seen.
How can you tell the difference ?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:25 am In South Korea, there is a distinction between dogs for food and dogs for pets. Dogs for food are bred and raised on farms, like cows, chickens, etc. Pet dogs are never eaten and food dogs are never seen.
Dog farms sounds so much nicer than what really is going on. I assume you are Korean American.

30,000,000 dogs are killed and eaten in Asia each year.

Although accurate figures are difficult to obtain, China is believed to be responsible for the majority of global cases of cat and dog slaughter. Each year, around four million cats and 10 million dogs are believed to be slaughtered in the country. The Humane Society says the majority are stolen pets and strays that are captured and kept in cages.

In South Korea, dog meat dishes are so common that they have their own name - Gaegogi. The country has an estimated 17,000 dog farms, according to the Humane Society, where animals are routinely prepared for human consumption.

In Vietnam around five million dogs are believed to be slaughtered for eating in the country each year.
And the demand has led to an illegal trade from neighbouring countries, including Thailand, Cambodia and Laos.

It is legal to eat dog meat in 43 of the states in America. You can be sure that there are Asians chowing down on "Rover" in America
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic