Last Straw ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Last Straw ?

Post by kaputt »

PLASTIC STRAWS TAKE 400 YEARS TO DEGRADE !

In the European Union about 36.4 billion straws are used per year, with a single straw lasting 400 years to degrade. From 2021 onwards, these utensils, swabs and plastic cutlery are now banned in the EU.

There are alternatives now:
https://www.madeiraislandnews.com/2019/ ... deira.html

Again it all depends on China which is the only country so far that can provide packing for pasta-straws !
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Last Straw ?

Post by fax »

Couldn't you post it in your other thread you made for rambling nonsensical things?

TOXIC BARANG BURNS PLASTIC etc etc
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

When I was a kid, before plastic was invented, straws were made of paper.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm When I was a kid, before plastic was invented, straws were made of paper.

When I was a kid, before paper straws were invented we drank straight from the bottle.
Spoiler:
It's true, it's true. It's damn true
Last edited by Duncan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm When I was a kid, before plastic was invented, straws were made of paper.
We used to drink through a reed.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Last straw discussion last year: post270506.html?hilit=plastic%20straws#p270506
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

Those disposal plastics are for sure one of the worlds problems. It’s toxic to the soil, the oceans and of course to the air when burned. Most “3rd world” countries like Iraq for example just burn them. However it’s not a third world problem, because Gases spread to the max volume. It’s in the interest of the world population to enlighten the people about environmental protection. Rainforests getting cleared for agriculture, rivers getting contaminated by chemical waste, food getting dirt cheap which results from unethical production methods and so many more tragedies of the 20th an 21st century. Some say we destroy the earth. But I can assure you we are not that mighty. We are only destroying our own environment, the earth will regulate itself.
That makes me think again. Are we so stupid that we cant stop or is it how they want it to be?
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I don't get the plastic hysteria. So what it takes 400 years to degrade. What is it doing during that process. Is it leaching carcinogens? Is it making us sick?

I refuse bags whenever practical, mostly because the plastic is ending up in the lakes and rivers and also being burned. But in the western world, where is is being recycled or properly buried I don't understand how it is a problem.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 amBut in the western world, where is is being recycled
If only. A lot of it is exported. Since China banned the import of plastic waste, Vietnam has become both one of the biggest producers of plastic as well as one of the biggest importers of plastic waste.

The issue is that the plastic ends up in the food chain and we end up eating the crap we chucked.

Dump near Sa Pa, Vietnam.

DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

If it's controlled degraded or recycled than its ok. But in the nature it would take too long to degrade and cause damage to wild life, especially in the waters and oceans, where a lot of plastic waste is. Even from ”1st” world countries comes plastic waste to the waters, but less I think due to higher developed infrastructure and technology and also more aware people. Not all of the plastic is recycled as well. The thing is there are alternatives but would cost more and we don't want to pay because we are trimmed on earning money not caring.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic