Cambodian driver license

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Cambodian driver license

Post by ExPenhMan »

Hello all,

I used to live in Phnom Penh and had a Cambodian license, now expired. Anyone with recent experience of getting a new license at Lucky Lucky or similar agency. What is required and how much?

Thanks

PS My first post as a refugee from That Other Forum. Best of luck to the CEO band of brothers!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian driver license

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

For a car or motorbike? Do you have a valid license from your home country?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:For a car or motorbike? Do you have a valid license from your home country?
I have 5-year Thai license and Thai IDP for both car and motorbike. My Cdn license sits in Canada at the moment.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

How expired is your Cambodian licence? I've allowed mine to expire a couple times, but never more than a couple/few months, and they still renew it for me when I apply.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I think it's too old. It says 10-02-2013 for expiry. I think that means Feb. 10 based on when I was resident.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Good question. What's the process for getting a KH drivers license (car and bike) with a valid Aussie license?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I used to have one for bikes and it's as easy as pie. Walk in at lucky lucky or any similar place, give them your license, some passport pictures and $$$ and you'll get a license within a month or so (they'll give you a temporary license until you get the actual one). Used to be 30$ or so, but last time I enquired it was 50-60$ if I'm not mistaken. Still pretty straightforward though. I've heard about the process for a car license, but having never gone through it myself I'll let experienced members give you up to date information.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Slightly off topic but do be careful not to loose you KH DL.
I was once told by a lady friend of mine, working at the ministry of transport that one is only allowed to have it redone 3 times... After that ? No more was her answer...
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Slightly off topic but do be careful not to loose you KH DL.
I was once told by a lady friend of mine, working at the ministry of transport that one is only allowed to have it redone 3 times... After that ? No more was her answer...

That would be easy if people would stop stealing mine, and the wallet that housed it...

I didn't bother renewing it around the expiry date and that will be coming up again in August this year. I look at it as a small compensation for all the stuff that's been nicked from me and the foreigner tax that you pay every darn day.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I used to have one for bikes and it's as easy as pie. Walk in at lucky lucky or any similar place, give them your license, some passport pictures and $$$ and you'll get a license within a month or so (they'll give you a temporary license until you get the actual one). Used to be 30$ or so, but last time I enquired it was 50-60$ if I'm not mistaken. Still pretty straightforward though. I've heard about the process for a car license, but having never gone through it myself I'll let experienced members give you up to date information.
Thanks, good information and I'll wait for more posts on the car drivers licence. What/where is Lucky Lucky?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic