Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

Post by Cam Nivag »

hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

Post by hdgh29 »

Lack of income in rainy season....what was his job, selling sun screen? And yes I do believe that public nuisance- fighting, drunkenness- is actually a crime, although not exactly as serious as overstaying. Didn't read the small print that says when visa runs out, so do you.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Diabetic South African overstayer locked up w/ no medications after being found begging for money with a bloody head

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Co Owner at Friends Gay Guesthouse & Bar
Restaurant General Manager at THÁI CÔNG Interior Design & Restaurant
Activists for equality at Brand ambassador Pride Project Phu Quoc
Stylist Assistant and decor consultant at Mia Resort Nha Trang
Free Lance Model at Boss Models Johannesburg

I agree with hdgh29, nothing the arrested overstayer has on his CV require sunny days.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:44 am I agree with hdgh29, nothing the arrested overstayer has on his CV require sunny days.
He could get a teaching job but most schools are closed for the summer.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

He says he was teaching and working for a Turkish hotel group.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Yeah I didn't see that info. Still, he knew his visa was running out, he seems to have a lot of business connections in Vietnam, could have gone over there. But just a sad case of a fool who is fucked up for noones fault but his own stupidity. Diabetic and allowing his medication to run out? I guess we all make mistakes but if I ever got like that I would hope someone would shoot me....and my 2 ex wives would be jumping that queue!
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've never understood why anyone would allow their visa to run out. Unless you're unconscious and literally have noone to do it for you, it's just sheer irresponsibility. It's common knowledge that Cambodia takes overstaying very seriously and that you're likely to be making lots of new friends in a 6x6 concrete room, some more friendly than others, many less so, if you recklessly allow your papers to expire.

I don't mean to sound harsh but many of these overstayers bring it on themselves. And if he thinks being diabetic somehow makes him a special case, he's in for yet another painful lesson about Cambodia.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

xandreu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm I've never understood why anyone would allow their visa to run out.
Renewing the visa for a year costs about $300. A lot of expats don't have $300. Also, that weird old crime writer from Kampot overstayed for two years, turned himself in, and just had to spend a week or so in immigration jail before he was allowed to leave for the Philippines. Cambodia doesn't take overstaying seriously at all.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:50 pm
xandreu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm I've never understood why anyone would allow their visa to run out.
Renewing the visa for a year costs about $300. A lot of expats don't have $300. Also, that weird old crime writer from Kampot overstayed for two years, turned himself in, and just had to spend a week or so in immigration jail before he was allowed to leave for the Philippines. Cambodia doesn't take overstaying seriously at all.
Renewing the visa for a year costs about $300. A lot of expats don't have $300. Perhaps it is time to go home when you no longer have the money to pay for your visa. I can't think of any countries that would welcome anyone that can not afford to be legally in the country.

Cambodia doesn't take overstaying seriously at all. Odd that they would lock him up then isn 't it?
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Who was the weird old crime writer. And speaking of weird people in Kampot is the mad Australian wanna be lawyer still there. Peter David or David Peter?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic