Odd - Watching City of Ghosts and guess who

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Odd - Watching City of Ghosts and guess who

Post by kgbagent »

As Dillon checks into the BelleVille the doorman is very familiar

fooking google photos search is totally useless - the guy used to hang on riverside in the same uniform albeit much oversized now.

He directs people across the road but dead certain the same guy
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Odd - Watching City of Ghosts and guess who

Post by kgbagent »

I know I have the photo of him crossing the road riverside but with 10k photos it is a nightmare to find. Searched "uniforms Phnom Penh", "road crossing PP" , "hats" etc but never get more than 20 hits over 10 years. About as useful as FookBook search - how do these shite companies still stay in business is beyond me.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yes, same guy.

I'm sure John Bingham will have more details.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

He used to hang around a Malay restaurant on st130 coz they gave him free food or the customers would give him their leftovers or even some riel. Not the full quid but harmless guy albeit a bit unnerving when he used to stand around at the front eyeing off whether you were gonna finish your plate or not. Then the restaurant's lease was up and they moved to another sangkat. Never saw him again since.. That was about 2 yrs ago.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:52 am Yes, same guy.

I'm sure John Bingham will have more details.
I've seen him around and knew he was in that movie but that's about it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

imdb lists him as Ang Cheata, no idea if that is the same character as I've not watched the movie in over a decade - but even a cursory glance at FB & Google doesn't bring anything up beyond that.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

I knew the cyclo driver from that movie, Sok was his name, was a moto dup who often hung around Happy Pizza (or something) on Riverside.

One day he was there with his crappy moto plying for customers & was approached to audition. Long story short, he got the part.

Had some interesting tales like how he had to be trained to ride a cyclo, how he went to America for the premier, hanging out with MD etc etc, real nice guy.

He got $15k for his role, paid for his house & bought a car so he could have work as a driver. Always kept his crappy moto that was falling to bits saying it was lucky & he'd never get rid of it.

I must have pics from years ago when I'd hire him for the day & he'd drive us to wherever in his Toyota.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

This guy used to walk around the riverside in a police outfit. It was obvious at some point the authorities realized they couldn't allow this as he was stripped of his costume and was wearing normal garb.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't think he ever wore an actual police uniform, it was just a mish mash of stuff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I've seen his uniform described as a chauffeur uniform. He also had a referee/umpire's whistle which he would constantly blow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic