Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
table42
Expatriate

Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs in Cambodia

Post by table42 »

The following cut and paste is from Tripadvisor.com(No, not m'y favorite forum) and I am curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.

"There have been recent reports of expats in both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh of withdrawing money from ATMs and not being able to use the bills as the store owners notice they are counterfeit! I suggest either bring bills from home, use a credit card, or if you MUST get money from a bank, do the transaction from inside the bank, asking them to check the bills after the procedure. While this is the exception rather than the rule, is HAS been happening, just so you know."

Specifically mentioned is ANZ,but all negative experiences with any ATM are welcome.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Counterfeit $100 bills from ATMs

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Was originally posted on FB, a chick commented on the post saying that she had written a review on TA and was asking the OP for specific location details to warn travellers.

Once again, I call BS on the counterfeit bills from an ATM, especially from a major banks ATMs.
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Thanks for that PSD-Kiwi. I've never had any problems but I've never used the ATMs in question.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Never had a problem either, a tricky set of fingers could feign it out of a cash register, watch it.

table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Thanks Franz. It's well known counterfeit money exists but I side with those who trust ATMs.

table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

More personal info regarding ANZ ATMs please.

Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I was shown an Australian counterfeit $50 note a few months ago and evan though we have the polymer plastic which are harder to copy i was very impressed by the quality, just felt a little thinner. American notes would be easier to forge.
I will be back in Cam in 2 weeks time and will be cautious.
Thanks for the info :thumb:
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Yeah. The American Treasury Dept. had to redesign and engrave a lot of variations to counter N.Korean reproductions which were high quality. This was the $100 bill.

So, were you shown the Aussie $50 in Cambodia or elsewhere?

Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

table42 wrote:Yeah. The American Treasury Dept. had to redesign and engrave a lot of variations to counter N.Korean reproductions which were high quality. This was the $100 bill.

So, were you shown the Aussie $50 in Cambodia or elsewhere?
In Australia, i would of never questioned it.
The bottle shop attendant clued on to it. We know the person who passed it off, brother of a high ranking comanchero
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I was in ABA SV last year and a barang came in complaining loudly that he got dud hundys from the atm in the front wall.
The manager denied it loudly then whisked him away to an office.
Outcome unknown.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic