EAT MY DUST

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

EAT MY DUST

Post by kaputt »

EAT MY DUST - Mad Men use Vehicles as Dust Dispenser

You can always tell the Dry Season has arrived in Cambodia. There is fine Dust everywhere. Perhaps one of the worst Roads now is the first stretch of Road from Kampot towards Phnom Penh on NR 3. The Dust there is so fine that you think you are in thick fog. The same was true exiting Kampot towards Sihanoukville but that part of the Road has now been fixed solid.

The Dust here contains a lot of red soil i.e. iron. In that enviroment some bacteria seems to thrive extremely well. Streptococcus and Staphylococcus are among those causing most of the problems. The RED Eye Syndrom or Conjunctivitis, a very contagious infection on your eye is sometimes so widespread that entire villages are affected. Your eye gets itchy than sore and very red. If you don't treat it with some antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin you much likely head for a desaster. The bacteria is also affecting your nose, throat, lungth, ears etc. This is why many Khmer wear Masks while driving a moto.

Of course there are the reckless idiots in their SUV's and fast Moto's. They see it as fun to spread as much dust as they can. EAT MY Dust is what one of the Barang Idiot on a heavy Harley had to say.

Another source of fine dust particles is the clearing of land and the burning of trees and plants. The south of Kampot is choking since more than 10 days because of the massive fires here. Looking up on the slopes of Bokor Mountain while sitting at the Riverside you can see the Erosion, a result of reckless burning by some idiots during the past years. Some Tourist asked me wether Bokor Mountain was actually a active Vulcano !!

We know that Shanghai and Beijing had serious Dust Problems but lately Bangkok and Seoul and Kuala Lumphur was added to the list. A major source of concern there are old Diesel Trucks....., like we have them in Cambodia.

example Korea:
http://www.arirang.com/News/News_View.asp?nseq=232697

example Bangkok:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... fety-level

example Shanghai:
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo- ... ge41032048

With the Cambodian Gov. warning of high temps in the coming weeks and month (up to 40-42 degree centegrades) the dust pollution is likely to get worse.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: EAT MY DUST

Post by fax »

Is the Kampot dust ecological vegan organic trans friendly free of lactose??? Is it rich on protein?
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: EAT MY DUST

Post by kaputt »

Shanghai update on it's "War on Pollution"

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – China will extend winter anti-smog measures such as production cuts and traffic restrictions for a third successive winter, the environment ministry said in a pollution battle plan for 2019 published yesterday.

The Ministry of Ecology and Environment (MEE) also vowed to speed up the elimination of small coal-fired heating boilers in major regions. It will also step up the elimination of outdated and excessive production capacity in polluting sectors such as steel, coal and coal-fired power.

China is in the sixth year of a “war on pollution” aimed at reversing the damage done by more than three decades of breakneck economic growth, and it has taken action to eliminate outdated vehicles and production technology, cut industrial emissions and ease its dependence on coal.
. .

However, according to Reuters analysis, only six of 39 smog-prone northern Chinese cities have managed to cut concentrations of hazardous airborne particles known as PM2.5 during the latest winter anti-smog campaign beginning last October. Average PM2.5 concentrations actually rose 13 percent over the period.

Liu Bingjiang, a senior MEE official, said on Tuesday that while the rebound was partly caused by weather anomalies, some local governments believed they deserved “a rest after years of hardship” to meet the anti-smog measures. He added that those governments would face punishment.

The 2019 action plan outlined further steps this year to control coal consumption. The ministry will help draw up new measures aimed at encouraging the use of cleaner-burning replacement fuels and speed up efforts to eliminate small and inefficient coal-fired heating boilers in smog-prone regions.

It will also further promote the implementation of ultra-low emission coal-fired power in western regions, and also encourage steel mills to install ultra-low emission technology.

The ministry also vowed to crack down harder on the production, import and use of substandard diesel vehicles, encourage bulk commodity deliveries by trains rather than trucks and make use of satellite technology to monitor rural air pollution sources.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic