Solar bicycle lights with horn

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Solar bicycle lights with horn

Post by explorer »

If you use a bicycle for transport, at some time you are likely to be out after dark. So to be safe you need lights.

I have used various bicycle lights in the past.

The latest lights I am trying are solar lights, which recharge the battery when exposed to sunlight. It seems, if you are outside for 2 hours or more in a day, the batteries should be fully charged. So you dont have to worry about recharging batteries. Anyone thinking about bicycle lights, this is an option worth considering.

The headlights also have a built in horn (some models dont), which is nearly as loud as a motorbike horn. A horn is also beneficial for safety.

I bought them on ebay. I have not seen them for sale in Cambodia.

Anyone putting lights on a bike, consider theft. They may get stolen. I will probably secure them so they cant be removed without a screwdriver or knife. They may still get stolen.

Here are some pictures.

The headlight can also be recharged via USB if you keep your bike in the dark.

There are also other models.
Last edited by explorer on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Solar bicycle lights with horn

Post by Captain Bonez »

Ok
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm If you use a bicycle for transport, at some time you are likely to be out after dark. So to be safe you need lights.

I have used various bicycle lights in the past.

The latest lights I am trying are solar lights, which recharge the battery when exposed to sunlight. It seems, if you are outside for 2 hours or more in a day, the batteries should be fully charged. So you dont have to worry about recharging batteries. Anyone thinking about bicycle lights, this is an option worth considering.

The headlights also have a built in horn (some models dont), which is nearly as loud as a motorbike horn. A horn is also beneficial for safety.

I bought them on ebay. I have not seen them for sale in Cambodia.

Anyone putting lights on a bike, consider theft. They may get stolen. I will probably secure them so they cant be removed without a screwdriver or knife. They may still get stolen.
Like you mentioned, a light is an easy thing to steal. The solar bicycle lights that I saw on a quick search looked big, unwieldy and expensive. Even for touring I can't see much point as most people avoid cycling distances after dark.
I have a $2 red light gaffer taped onto my back post ( because the bracket they come with is shit), and a $5 front light which clips in and out in seconds. The batteries only need replacing every couple of months.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The solar tail lights cost less than US$3.

The solar headlights with horn cost less than US$10.

They are light weight.

Check them out on ebay. There are different models.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's less than I thought, but then you weren't too specific about which products you meant.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I use a rechargable knog blinder Road 400 lumens for my morning rides. Plenty bright enough, USB rechargable and it doesnt need to be bolted to the bike all damn day.

Too many gadgets on your whip ain't cool, bro.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I edited my first post, and added pictures.

When I buy something on ebay, I decide on what model I want to buy, then search for which seller sells it at the lowest price.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Why do you want to keep cyclists safe? they are the scourge of any city. Singapore has special police just for these lawless idiots who are better at making illegla turns, jumping red light and running over pedestrians than even cambodians on honda dreams. i suppose putting light on them makes them easier targets
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

pczz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 pm Why do you want to keep cyclists safe? they are the scourge of any city. Singapore has special police just for these lawless idiots who are better at making illegla turns, jumping red light and running over pedestrians than even cambodians on honda dreams. i suppose putting light on them makes them easier targets
Scourge of any city? I always thought that the scourge of any city in Cambodia are the massive SUV's driven by some VIP or other.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

andy_morris wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 pm I use a rechargable knog blinder Road 400 lumens for my morning rides. Plenty bright enough, USB rechargable and it doesnt need to be bolted to the bike all damn day.

Too many gadgets on your whip ain't cool, bro.
Sometimes in the evening, I am somewhere where I want to stay longer. I may meet interesting people. There may be an event to see, such as cultural dancing. You cant always predict when these situations will occur. So I like to have bicycle lights with me all the time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic