Covid can hit the poor hard - an example from my village

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Covid can hit the poor hard - an example from my village

Post by Kammekor »

In my village there was a family of five. Father, mother and three kids. Two more kids are currently in China doing some kind of 'factory work'. The family makes their money by selling bread, grilled bananas and some other food they cook on the roadside in front of their wooden shack.
This family (in my village) tested positive for covid about five weeks ago. They were hastily taken to a 'quarantine center' about 35 km's from this village. The competent authorities fenced off their 'home' with some kind of rope, waiting for the owners to return.
Some of the family members got ill. The father got really ill. There was no oxygen at the treatment center. He passed away about three weeks ago. There was no ceremony, because of covid. His body was taken away by the authorities to be disposed in a safe way. The rest of the family had to stay away from home, in the quarantine center, until they were discharged. The four of them finally were discharged and allowed to return home the day before yesterday. They had been away from home nearly five weeks.

When they came home they noticed someone had broken into their shack. Their amplifier, karaoke speaker, microphones and some other stuff of value were stolen. The meat used for their cooking, stored in orange ice boxes, had become pretty bad. No one had bothered to check for it and throw it away.

They simply hit rock bottom because of covid, and the way it's dealt with.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Covid can hit the poor hard - an example from my village

Post by jaynewcastle »

Terrible that someone broke into their house & stole their property.

I wondered why they hadn't arranged with friends, families or neighbours for somebody to keep an eye on the place whilst it was empty, or is it not a problem normally
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Sad story. People are badly affected by covid in many different ways, not just medical.

I'm not sure what's worse. Being told you have covid or being sent to one of those treatment centres for an indefinite length of time.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

A "treatment center" with no oxygen, to boot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic