city mall phnom penh - thoughts

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

city mall phnom penh - thoughts

Post by BklynBoy »

I went to meet a girl for coffee and wanted to find a place that would work for her-- closer to her job or on her way home etc..

anyway we went to city mall... that mall is a ghost town.. wtf .. how is it still open??/ so old and depressing. It reminded me of the Chris Rock joke

Every town has the same two malls: the one white people go to and the one white people used to go to.

Anyone have different experiences/thoughts?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Re: city mall phnom penh - thoughts

Post by Captain »

Yes, my thought is that Chris Rock is a racist!
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Every single "joke" he comes up with is about whether someone is "black" or "white." That gets old real fast and he is himself a "joke."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That mall was booming for a few years and the place to go "da lane". It was always a bit of a joke to me though, as it's basically a big shophouse with all those beams sticking out. A Khmer style mall. Still, it had the first proper cinema in Cambodia which was huge for me when it opened (2012-13?).

It's been quiet for many years though, especially the upper floors. Even in it's heydey they had trouble properly filling the top two floors. With Aeon opening, those old-sryle places can't compete as even locals now see it for what foreigners always saw it as. Sorya needed a major makeover to stay somewhat competitive, but even that place is a lot quieter than it used to be.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Captain wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 am Every single "joke" he comes up with is about whether someone is "black" or "white." That gets old real fast and he is himself a "joke."
We got an Amy Schumer fan over here!!!! :ROFL:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 am That mall was booming for a few years and the place to go "da lane". It was always a bit of a joke to me though, as it's basically a big shophouse with all those beams sticking out. A Khmer style mall. Still, it had the first proper cinema in Cambodia which was huge for me when it opened (2012-13?).

It's been quiet for many years though, especially the upper floors. Even in it's heydey they had trouble properly filling the top two floors. With Aeon opening, those old-sryle places can't compete as even locals now see it for what foreigners always saw it as. Sorya needed a major makeover to stay somewhat competitive, but even that place is a lot quieter than it used to be.
Since the major makeover the rents have increased to compensate and there are fewer tenants which puts more pressure on the existing tenants. Their attempt to attract a higher class customer is failing because of other malls opening and most Cambodians would prefer to shop at a roadside stall where prices are cheaper.

Not much of a future for Soya unless they derenovate and get back to their basic customer base.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Queef wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:53 am
Captain wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 am Every single "joke" he comes up with is about whether someone is "black" or "white." That gets old real fast and he is himself a "joke."
We got an Amy Schumer fan over here!!!! :ROFL:

I don't know who Amy Schumer is, and I don't care. All I know is I am not a Chris Rock "fan." That divisive crap that he pumps out over and over and over again is just plain tedious!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It was always a dump. The company that started it was supposed to refurbish the stadium but did jack shit except for a whitewash so construction was closed down and place was a shell for about 5 years. When it was built it had a shitty finish. It 's really hard to find your way around too, I've been to the cinema there many times but still get lost. I was at the cinema in Sovanna recently, other than the ground floor most of the units there are empty too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

went to the cinema there the other day, been numerous times, the food court at the top wasnt too bad either
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

You must have missed the one where he highlights the differences between "black people, and niggers" - hilarious sketch.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic