Houses for the poor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Houses for the poor

Post by Duncan »

So many people live in shanty shacks along the Tonlie Basic between KohPich and Takhmau

And then there are others.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Houses for the poor

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What's your point?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

So many people live in shanty shacks along the Tonle Basic between KohPich and Takhmau
I don't see any shacks north of the Monivong Bridge, unless you mean on the Chhba Ampul side.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 pm
So many people live in shanty shacks along the Tonle Basic between KohPich and Takhmau
I don't see any shacks north of the Monivong Bridge, unless you mean on the Chhba Ampul side.

Yea,, My photos are just one big lie .
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm What's your point?

Well for one thing,,,It makes some people say '' What's your point '' as if there has to be a ''point '' in everything one posts on here .
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 pm What's your point?
I was going to post the same thing.
“Poor people near not poor people in ‘third world country’” shock.

If it bothers you that much volunteer with one of the many charities and NGOs or donate some food/clothing/tarps etc.

Yes we all know you’ve helped families blah blah blah but what point are you making with posting these pictures? We all live here and are aware of the disparity between rich and poor.

As a side note: those construction sites are where the people at those shanty towns work. So maybe they moved to be nearer their work from the provinces.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I thought he might have had the sarcasm dial turned all the way up.. considering the plight of all those poor chinese residents in those condos :evil6:
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Whilst I am sure most of the people there are genuinely poor in terms of their monthly income I also wouldnt be surprised if most are trying to assert some kind of land rights with their continued presence there and expect large sums of money in return for those rights. So are they poor in the truest sense of the word if they are sitting on a valuable asset but choose not to sell?
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Whilst I am sure most of the people there are genuinely poor in terms of their monthly income I also wouldnt be surprised if most are trying to assert some kind of land rights with their continued presence there and expect large sums of money in return for those rights. So are they poor in the truest sense of the word if they are sitting on a valuable asset but choose not to sell?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've been telling my girlfriend this for a while. You also see old wooden shacks on Monivong and in Toul Toum Poung and so on. Basically they're all over. However, most of us know that some of those plots are worth 500 000usd+. Sure, the roads are shit, electricity voltage unstable and they've got a dirty toilet, but in many ways it's funny as despite outward appearances to the average tourist, many of the people living in such "squalid housing" are in fact more asset-rich than the average rural Frenchman, Australian etc. It's quite mind-boggling when you think about it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic