The Price of Tobacco Products/ Cigarettes to go Up in July

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

The Price of Tobacco Products/ Cigarettes to go Up in July

Post by General Mackevili »

This is ludicrous! ! If they go through with this, some packs of cigarettes will almost cost add much as one single cigarette in the West! ! !

I wish there an NGO that would stop this crap!

On the flip side, I am happy to be living in a country that cares about my health and is taking appropriate measures to insure I live a long, happy and smoke-free life! Kudos.

I think the last thing anyone wants to happen to them is this...

Or even this..

And nobody I know most be a "real" smoker, because I've never seen anyone looking like those pictures or have their chest spontaneously split down the middle.

And I'm certain the extra tax they collect will be put towards anti-smoking campaigns or other ways to better the community. Again, kudos.

In less than two months, smokers indulging in Cambodia’s inexpensive cigarettes will have to reach a little deeper into their wallets.

Starting in July, the tax on cigarettes will jump from 20 per cent to 30 per cent of the retail price, with a tax base rise from 65 per cent to 85 per cent.

But one advocacy group said the increase would not be enough of a disincentive to encourage smokers to quit or to stop others taking up the habit.

The announcement was made on Friday during ASEAN’s Workshop on Tobacco and Illicit Trade in Manila.

“The department decided to increase the tax to promote residents’ health,” Heng Sothy, deputy chief of the Audit Bureau in the General Department of Taxation, said.

Just last week, the Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance called Cambodian cigarettes “dangerously cheap”. A report last year found that Cambodia had the second-lowest taxation rate in ASEAN after Laos.

At $0.58 a pack, popular local cigarette brands in Cambodia and the Philippines have some of the lowest prices in the world. That price could go up to about $0.64, if factoring in the 10 per cent tax hike.

“We are pleased to hear that the government decided to increase tobacco tax,” Mom Kong, executive director of NGO Cambodian Movement for Health, said.

“Increasing taxes will mean higher prices and consumption will decline.”

A 2011 World Health Organization report found that nearly 10,000 people die each year from tobacco-related diseases in Cambodia. But according to Dr Ulysses Dorotheo, project director at the Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance, to fully reap public health benefit, taxation must be high enough to hamper affordability. He noted that, at just 30 per cent, the new rate will not mean too devastating a price hike.

An industry group had a different view.

“Any tax increase will have an impact. The price of the product as a whole will go up, and if the price increases, then sales will probably go down, and the revenues for tobacco companies will decrease,” said Um Rottana of British American Tobacco in Cambodia.

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... o-slightly
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: The Price of Tobacco Products/ Cigarettes to go Up in Ju

Post by OrangeDragon »

as if anyone's really paying that tax....
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

What the hell is this thing?

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

something someone paid a gov't worker a bribe to get a case of... lol.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

It was screened as carry on luggage at KL? Looks like a baggage seal - hate those things.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

This really sucks! It was only a few years ago that a packet of Ara cost me 1000 riel. Then it went up to 1200 riel, and about six months ago to 1300 riel.
This is inflation gone mad. In July a pack of Ara is going to cost me around 1500-1600 riel a pack. Must be time to start thinking about giving up before I go broke.

:unknown:
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Man I when I think that back home a pack is approximately 36 000 riel :Yahoo!:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote:It was screened as carry on luggage at KL? Looks like a baggage seal - hate those things.
You really did come down in the last shower! Or, are you just a non-smoker?

It's the tax sticker which you get on all cigarettes in Cambodia. :facepalm:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:It was screened as carry on luggage at KL? Looks like a baggage seal - hate those things.
You really did come down in the last shower! Or, are you just a non-smoker?

It's the tax sticker which you get on all cigarettes in Cambodia. :facepalm:
Sigh. Thanks Sherlock.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Not sure which is worse, smoking or eating at Burger King? :pardon:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic