Hidden Cameras in Siem Reap Guesthouse

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Paris
Tourist

Hidden Cameras in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Post by Paris »

I'm trying to keep it short. I've posted this already on another board called Khmerwhatever and it got deleted after a couple of hours. Have contacted the admin there but have received no sufficient explanation. So I try it here. Look - just because I'm a first time poster doesn't mean that I want to harm anybody - I just want to give you a heads up. Accept it or not.

A couple of days ago I've arrived in Siem Reap and checked in to a downtown guesthouse. For some reason I got suspicious, downloaded an application from the playstore (hidden camera detector) and checked the room with it. I have received plenty of positives in the bedroom as well in the bathroom (pre-installed micro cameras in the moulding of the ceiling). I have informed my neighbor about this and he did the same on his phone and received also plenty of positives (he had an iphone and used a different application). We went down to the owner and confronted him with the situation with the result that he immediately offered us to return the rent and also asked us to leave immediately. No further explanations were given.
Now I'm not going to name the guesthouse because it could be against your forum rules (if you want the name of the guesthouse, please tell me)

I do not know whether this hidden camera thing is a new trend in Cambodia, but I would like to suggest you to check your hotel rooms with some appropriate application. It's simple and easy.

Edit - name and address of guest house:
Key Royal Angkor Guesthouse
Address: 143, Steung Thmei Village, Sangkat Svay Dangkum, Siem Reap, Cambodia

(info approved by administrator of this board)
Last edited by Paris on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Hidden Cameras in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Did you actually see the camera or were you just going on what the application results were?

Those applications aren't 100% accurate as there is other reasons / electronics that could trigger a "positive" result.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I'm curious to know how you confirmed there were actually hidden cameras, if this is some $10 a night fleapit it's unlikely to have the money or infrastructure to have expensive spy cameras. For example, I had coax CTV fitted with four cameras and it still came to $400. Wifi cameras are more expensive and they're still dome shaped and sized. You could hire a room full of ladies to wee into buckets in front of you for less. Was it a glint app or did it sniff the wifi? Him telling two "loons" they can have their money back and to bugger off is not an admission of guilt, more likely pragmatism. There's a guy here, let's call him 'Tom', who swore blind to me the flashing red light on a box up a pole in his neighbour's roof was a satellite infrared camera spying through his bedroom window.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

cptrelentless wrote:There's a guy here, let's call him 'Tom', who swore blind to me the flashing red light on a box up a pole in his neighbour's roof was a satellite infrared camera spying through his bedroom window.
Hey, I know him.

LOL
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sorry, dont buy it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Hidden Cameras in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Post by epidemiks »

Paris wrote:I'm trying to keep it short. I've posted this already on another board called Khmerwhatever and it got deleted after a couple of hours. Have contacted the admin there but have received no sufficient explanation. So I try it here. Look - just because I'm a first time poster doesn't mean that I want to harm anybody - I just want to give you a heads up. Accept it or not.

A couple of days ago I've arrived in Siem Reap and checked in to a downtown guesthouse. For some reason I got suspicious, downloaded an application from the playstore (hidden camera detector) and checked the room with it. I have received plenty of positives in the bedroom as well in the bathroom (pre-installed micro cameras in the moulding of the ceiling). I have informed my neighbor about this and he did the same on his phone and received also plenty of positives (he had an iphone and used a different application). We went down to the owner and confronted him with the situation with the result that he immediately offered us to return the rent and also asked us to leave immediately. No further explanations were given.
Now I'm not going to name the guesthouse because it could be against your forum rules (if you want the name of the guesthouse, please tell me)

I do not know whether this hidden camera thing is a new trend in Cambodia, but I would like to suggest you to check your hotel rooms with some appropriate application. It's simple and easy.
This app "hidden camera detector" on google play says it detects radiation' from hidden cameras, which is utter shite. It's a stupid app which does nothing, least of all detect radiation, as your phone has no sensor to detect radiation.

I asked on the other forum, but as the thread was deleted, I'll ask again: post the photos you took of these 'cameras'
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I called it BS on the other forum and I call it BS on this one. Tinfoil-hat time....
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

"this app does not detect hidden cameras" says it all really
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I just tried the app in my house (which I know to be camera free) and apparently I have hidden cameras everywhere. "Details of radiation" my arse.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i guess the people who live in Hiroshima are super paranoid!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic