Out of Asia. I'm Done. (A ramble)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

These last couple of stints in the region have reaffirmed what’s been building for a few years - travel and living in Asia isn’t what it used to be for me. From a green eighteen year old right-of-passage Bali-holidaying-Australian, to Nepal guesthouse owner - from messed up Phnom Penh junkie, to reluctant fiance - from living alone in a stone cottage in the mountains for months, to swinging in hammocks on cargo boats on the Mekong - from bumming on the beaches of Goa, to running bars and owning boats in Bali…along with all the other craziness, I never thought I'd fall out of love with Asia. But, well, I'm done.

Where once I’d bound off a plane in India invigorated by the aromatic collision of curries, cow dung, humidity, bidi cigarettes, aviation fuel and the hint of urine, I now greet it with disdain. I’ve lost patience with the noise of Asia, the double pricing, the ignorance, the stupidity, the modernization, the lack of quality health care, the culturally insensitive, the traffic, the rubbish, the smell, the impossibility of finding clothes to fit, the saving face, the power cuts, the corruption, the beggars, the intolerance, the foreigner fucktardery…and on. Familiarity does indeed breed contempt it seems.

I’m heading back to Australia soon earlier than planned, and I have to say, I’m looking forward to the civility and order of things when I get there. Where once I complained the sterility and predictability of western living lacked the energy, chaos and color that made Asia alive and so enticing,I’m now looking forward to embracing the mundane reliability of the west. I'm surprised, Asia has been very much who I am, it's been kind of my identity for a long time. The idea of planning my future without Asia in it is weird. And it appears I'm not the only one.

There's been a bit of a shift recently I've noticed with quite a few others I know packing up and heading home,and not because they can't afford to live here. Asia has changed considerably over the years and some would argue not for the better. But I suspect for many of us who don't want to be here any longer we are just getting older and can't be bothered putting up with the bullshit. We just don't have the energy for it any more. We're tired. Well, I am. I wonder if you really do truly adjust to living in the region over time, or you just make bigger compromises.

That is all. Carry on.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Out of Asia. I'm Done. (A ramble)

Post by Duncan »

How many more times can I say it .

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

This is pretty common I guess . After 25 years roughing it in Asia I also find the order and normality of the UK very appealing . You are just lucky that you have the option of getting out to somewhere decent .
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

If i said that it would be considered whinging.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:These last couple of stints in the region have reaffirmed what’s been building for a few years - travel and living in Asia isn’t what it used to be for me. From a green eighteen year old right-of-passage Bali-holidaying-Australian, to Nepal guesthouse owner - from messed up Phnom Penh junkie, to reluctant fiance - from living alone in a stone cottage in the mountains for months, to swinging in hammocks on cargo boats on the Mekong - from bumming on the beaches of Goa, to running bars and owning boats in Bali…along with all the other craziness, I never thought I'd fall out of love with Asia. But, well, I'm done.

Where once I’d bound off a plane in India invigorated by the aromatic collision of curries, cow dung, humidity, bidi cigarettes, aviation fuel and the hint of urine, I now greet it with disdain. I’ve lost patience with the noise of Asia, the double pricing, the ignorance, the stupidity, the modernization, the lack of quality health care, the culturally insensitive, the traffic, the rubbish, the smell, the impossibility of finding clothes to fit, the saving face, the power cuts, the corruption, the beggars, the intolerance, the foreigner fucktardery…and on. Familiarity does indeed breed contempt it seems.

I’m heading back to Australia soon earlier than planned, and I have to say, I’m looking forward to the civility and order of things when I get there. Where once I complained the sterility and predictability of western living lacked the energy, chaos and color that made Asia alive and so enticing,I’m now looking forward to embracing the mundane reliability of the west. I'm surprised, Asia has been very much who I am, it's been kind of my identity for a long time. The idea of planning my future without Asia in it is weird. And it appears I'm not the only one.

There's been a bit of a shift recently I've noticed with quite a few others I know packing up and heading home,and not because they can't afford to live here. Asia has changed considerably over the years and some would argue not for the better. But I suspect for many of us who don't want to be here any longer we are just getting older and can't be bothered putting up with the bullshit. We just don't have the energy for it any more. We're tired. Well, I am. I wonder if you really do truly adjust to living in the region over time, or you just make bigger compromises.

That is all. Carry on.
Great post.

I’ve recently made the jump myself. After being in Asia for the best part of the last 17 years and growing up there Ive had enough as well.

I came back to NZ and am surprised with how much more I am enjoying life and the simplicity of everything, for example, It’s nice to be able to ask a question and get a straight answer. I used to complain about the strictness of the west but can honestly say this hasn’t effected my day to day life at all (so far). To be honest I haven’t even found it that much more expensive. Sure prices are higher but so is the quality, so you pay for what you get.

I still miss certain aspects of Asia and don’t know how long my current stint in Nz will last but I can say at the moment it was the best decision I made to come back and don’t regret it at all.
Last edited by kiwiincambodia on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Double post
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

How old are you now Kung Fu, curious how long your journey has been ? I visit my mother, South East England, every 5 months for 1 month and compared to Asia I just find the place grey, depressing and a bit lifeless. perhaps if I was to return to the scenic natural beauty, tranquility and friendliness of the Scottish highlands of my youth that would be a nice way to enjoy my later years. Medical considerations or childrens education are the most common reasons I hear from long termers making the move back.

I wish you luck.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:05 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:These last couple of stints in the region have reaffirmed what’s been building for a few years - travel and living in Asia isn’t what it used to be for me. From a green eighteen year old right-of-passage Bali-holidaying-Australian, to Nepal guesthouse owner - from messed up Phnom Penh junkie, to reluctant fiance - from living alone in a stone cottage in the mountains for months, to swinging in hammocks on cargo boats on the Mekong - from bumming on the beaches of Goa, to running bars and owning boats in Bali…along with all the other craziness, I never thought I'd fall out of love with Asia. But, well, I'm done.

That is all. Carry on.
Great post.

I’ve recently made the jump myself. After being in Asia for the best part of the last 17 years and growing up there Ive had enough as well.

I came back to NZ and am surprised with how much more I am enjoying life and the simplicity of everything, for example, It’s nice to be able to ask a question and get a straight answer. I used to complain about the strictness of the west but can honestly say this hasn’t effected my day to day life at all (so far). To be honest I haven’t even found it that much more expensive. Sure prices are higher but so is the quality, so you pay for what you get.

I still miss certain aspects of Asia and don’t know how long my current stint in Nz will last but I can say at the moment it was the best decision I made to come back and don’t regret it at all.
I make 2000 AUD cleared a week.

Thats alot of cash, way more opportunity in the west but too many third worlders taking all the taxes and going on welfare....
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

After your amazing series of videos I admit your "ramble" did catch.me off guard. But all of your points hit home. Being responsibly married with two kids, too old to work and no home to return to in the US negates an exit plan for me and mine. In short I am appropriately jealous, but wish you continued adventure in your home country.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Kung-fu Hillbilly,

Let us know if you experience any reverse culture shock.
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic