I have 8 days in Cambodia. What should I do.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
trutuyu
Tourist

I have 8 days in Cambodia. What should I do.

Post by trutuyu »

Hello, I am a digital nomad and seasoned full time traveler who has spent the past 6 months traveling through SE Asia and the past 3 years traveling across 5 continents. I have read the past couple of years worth of post on this board, but this is my first post. I am taking an 8 day trip to Cambodia and was planning on spending a day in Kampot, 2 days in Sihanoukville, 1 night in Phnom Penh and a couple nights in Siem Rep. I love traveling through "developing" nations because I find the people to be the best kind of people. However, a lot of what I read on this board and in general is bad news about rising prices, scams, tourist od'ing, car crashes and general madness. Non of this "scares" me and kind of makes me want to go that much more because I would like to see Cambodia before it becomes too over developed. But, after reading six months worth of bad news about Sihanoukville I think I'm going to skip southern Cambodia all together which totally throws off my itinerary. My question is, what would be the best way to spend 8 days in Cambodia. I like off the beaten path travel and am equally comfortable spending a night in jungles/mountains or staying in the places that other travelers refuse to go in major cities. While I don't mind having a beer with other expats I mostly hate being surrounded by other tourist in general since I am traveling the world to experience other cultures and meet people not like myself. After reading 2 years worth of post I know that I will probably be trolled by at least one idiot and I expect that, but thank you to those who give me any real advice. I appreciate your help and will do my best not to end up as one of the news stories on this board lol.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I have 8 days in Cambodia. What should I do.

Post by armchairlawyer »

Where are you entering/exiting?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Killing Fields
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Expats seem to dislike backpackers.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Too many places and not enough time. You will be spending a large proportion of your time transiting between places. Which seems odd as you said you had spent 3 years traversing 5 continents.... but Cambodia is a “don’t blink or you’ll miss it” place?

Do PP for Toul Sleng and the killing fields. Siem Reap for Angkor Wat and maybe Battambang.... if you are exiting to Thailand either Battambang or Siem Reap works... Siem Reap if you are flying ofc.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

travel from Phnom Pehn up to Kampong Cham- Sen Monorom- Banlung- Stung treng -Preah Vihear-Koh Ker-Siem Rep.
off the usual backpackers route, ( PP an SR are already overdeveloped)
If u like temples Angkor deserves at least 3 days
BUT if u really want go somewhere that is not yet spoiled by Tourist...head to Myanmar
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
trutuyu
Tourist

Post by trutuyu »

Hello everyone, thanks for the reply's. I am coming in and leaving through PP. I am actually a family man with four small children. Both my wife and I are highly educated and have been offered employment in Cambodia. I'm coming to check things out on the ground. When it comes to developing countries such as Myanmar, Cambodia and certain African nations I go ahead of my family for a couple of day or a week and make sure it's a good fit before I bring my wife and kids in. Sometimes we stay for a couple months at a time and sometimes we get jobs and stay longer. The reason we travel is to expose our kids to as much culture and diversity as possible so they grow up to become well traveled, well educated and tolerant people who love everyone, everywhere and see that the world is a lot better place than the news makes it out to be. That is the reason I try to go where there is a greater local population than expats. We have expat friends around the world. But, not a lot of them have taken their families into Cambodia. I think I will do as some of you have suggested and head to the north. I know that any good information is going to come from you expats on the ground which is why I asked my question here. I also know that I am just a traveler and any info I find on the internet is nothing compared to the experience that each one of you has. Which is why I am grateful for any help. P.S. I have done Myanmar and It was amazing. Probably one of my top two favorite countries in the world.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I think a few days in Phnom Penh is unavoidable if you are really thinking of settling in Cambodia with family. Fancy supermarkets and local markets to check out, neighbourhoods, clothing shops and restaurants. And schools, I should think. The usual.

Siem Reap definitely worth a check but consider beforehand whether you want to just check the town for a night or spend three days with the bulk staring at Angkor Wat. Have spent weeks there but a high-traffic tourist town is not somewhere I'd want to live, frankly.

Glad to see you've crossed out Sihanouk. Entire southern coast sold to the Chinese.

I've never been to Kampot or Kep, but there are those who recommend it.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

trutuyu wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:00 pm Hello everyone, thanks for the reply's. I am coming in and leaving through PP. I am actually a family man with four small children. <cut>
So forget about your initial itinerary then. Travel takes ages here, and travelling with children will be tiring and should be avoided a much as possible. A combi of Phnom Penh and Siem Reap seems the max to me if you also want to do some ground work in Phnom Penh. Forget about Kampot and the coast (Kep?) unless you drop Siem Reap.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Billy Connolly said, travel doesn't broaden the mind, it narrows it. Actually it probably does neither.
If you want your children to share your values, just truly live according to those values, they will copy you, regardless of where you live.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic