how to deal w/ return portion of ticket- if postponing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

how to deal w/ return portion of ticket- if postponing

Post by BklynBoy »

Curious if anyone has had any experience with this

Anyone ever postpone a return flight back to their country? if so, was curious if anyone postponed over a year and the result?
1. a partial refund to use at a later date
2. applied the difference to another ticket
3. count as a loss

I have used Eva Air and Singapore Air in the past. Seems like will be using Eva air.. if anyone has specific experience w/ this regarding Eva, let me know
I read Eva's rules/regulations but wanted to hear personal experience if possible
Thanks
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: how to deal w/ return portion of ticket- if postponing

Post by cptrelentless »

Eva seats are quite hard. Food's mediocre. They weigh your hand luggage, which is annoying as it's max 6kg, which is quite small. They are neither terrible nor great
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

every airline has its own policy for refunds, change of dates, Chinese airlines seem to be the most lenient.
most refuse to do anything if over 1 year,,, ie U lose

decades ago u could change for free. those times are long gone
Air asia u need pay for change and alos pay if there is a price deference ONLY if u do in advance. if u miss the flight u can get ONLY a refund for the departure tax.

Used to fly eva but preferred korean/Asiana, Cathy .
Now i fly china eastern or southern china back to the states if i go
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

thanks PR-- I thought the " 1 year " -- was a thing so was thinking i can ask for a refund of a partial refund... That way i have a refund .. or at least a portion of a refund.. especially if it goes over a year without using.

regarding the quality of airlines, i thought/assumed eva and singapore were the better ones.....I will look into Cathy/korean
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Why not get a one way ticket?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Cathy Pacific were pretty cool when I was late for my flight and put me on the next one. Usually economy tickets are non-refundable and non-transferrable. It's always been an upfront add-on
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

was thinking of getting a 1 way ticket.. only issue-- if i do decide to return, i am taking a chance on how much the price will be... if i do get rt and i decide to stay.. i was thinking after reading this thread to just ask for a partial refund on unused portion of ticket-- it might not be that much but i would feel more comfortable doing that then taking chance of coming home and having to purchase a one way ticket and prices sky rockets
not the worst problem in the world. Would just make me feel more comfortable to already have ticket.. suppose i answered my own question.
Thanks CPT, timmy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic