This Former Khmerican Gang-Banger Is Banging Out Delicious Cubans in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

This Former Khmerican Gang-Banger Is Banging Out Delicious Cubans in Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

From VICE MAGAZINE:

"Six years ago, Ry Mam boarded an international flight from LAX with three other Cambodians and two US marshals. “If any of you try to run, we’ll shoot you,” one of the marshals told the Cambodians. Mam thought that was strange—they were on an airplane and, anyway, he could have run a long time ago.

Mam, 40, is one of nearly 500 Khmer-Americans (Khmer is the dominant ethnicity in Cambodia) without citizenship who, starting in the early 2000s, were deported to Cambodia after having accrued criminal records in the US. Many had left Cambodia as young children during the mid or late 70s—prior to or directly following the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime of 1975-79—and came to America as refugees with their families. Here in Cambodia they are known as “the deportees” (though they call themselves “Khmericans”) and while all are Cambodian by blood, many returned knowing little to nothing about their homeland. Predictably, their integration into Cambodian society has been mixed. Stigmatized by locals for their criminal backgrounds and/or inner-city dress code, many struggle to adapt. Some turn to drugs and alcohol. At least six have committed suicide since deportations began in 2002...
"

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/t ... n-cambodia
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: This Former Khmerican Gang-Banger Is Banging Out Delicious Cubans in Cambodia

Post by Duncan »

Good to see a positive in his life and hope he does well. As the old saying goes,,,, as one door closes, another door opens up. Don't look at the closed door, look at the door that's open.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: This Former Khmerican Gang-Banger Is Banging Out Delicious Cubans in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

:thumb: Nice story. If he hadn't been deported he would probably be back in jail in the US.
This is the second story about Khmericans in Battambang this week. (The other one was the sad knife attack between two Khmerican friends.) Are there a lot of Khmericans who settled in Battambang, or just coincidence ?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: This Former Khmerican Gang-Banger Is Banging Out Delicious Cubans in Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote: Are there a lot of Khmericans who settled in Battambang, or just coincidence ?
I can't really be certain, but I would imagine a lot of them did come from Battambang. I know a lot of Khmericans back in the States (not deportees) and almost all of them claim Battambang to be their homeland.

I would guess it has to do with that area being the ones to go to a refugee camp in Thailand, and then getting a free ride to the US from there.

And yes, this guy was friends with the 2 involved in the fatal knife fight a few days ago.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: This Former Khmerican Gang-Banger Is Banging Out Delicious Cubans in Cambodia

Post by Retardedwaitress »

General Mackevili wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Are there a lot of Khmericans who settled in Battambang, or just coincidence ?
I can't really be certain, but I would imagine a lot of them did come from Battambang. I know a lot of Khmericans back in the States (not deportees) and almost all of them claim Battambang to be their homeland.

I would guess it has to do with that area being the ones to go to a refugee camp in Thailand, and then getting a free ride to the US from there.

And yes, this guy was friends with the 2 involved in the fatal knife fight a few days ago.
I ran into a few Khmericans last trip to Battambang they were real friendly and easy going but you know not to cross them whatever you do.

Also im Glad to see a positive side to the doom and gloom CEO news usually puts out there.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Anchor Moy wrote::thumb: Nice story. If he hadn't been deported he would probably be back in jail in the US.
This is the second story about Khmericans in Battambang this week. (The other one was the sad knife attack between two Khmerican friends.) Are there a lot of Khmericans who settled in Battambang, or just coincidence ?
Yes, a lot of them are from BTB originally, pretty much all of the ones settled there at least. There's quite a big community there probably because it was close to the refugee camps.

Also I can vouch for those Cuban sandwiches - fucking delicious!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i wonder if they are from Batt Originally or thats where they last were before they crossed the border to the camps in Thailand so they were just registered as being from Batt
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Many Khmers in Australia from Battambang, very close to the border of course.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

So, how are the sandwiches ? Still going strong ?
Are there other Khmerican eateries in town ? What about Khmer- American fusion food ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic