What is your hotel budget per day? How have better for cheaper?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

What is your hotel budget per day? How have better for cheaper?

Post by Kinetic »

I don't know if I post it in the good section. Remove it if needed.

My question is in the title : What is your hotel budget per day? And what kind of confort do you get for this price?

Last year, in October, I went to Phnom Penh and asked a tuktuk for a 10$ room. I was like "yeah it's cheap! Good for my budget :thumb: " but the room was tiny, bit dirty and so hot even using the fan. Difficult to sleep the night and works in the building next door early in the morning.
After I went to Sieam Reap and booked a room with Agoda. 25$ room, air con and swimming pool. It was so nice, the holidays begin ;-)
Few days after I went to Sihanoukville and I booked again on Agoda. I changed hotel several times. Rooms for 20-25$ with the same set up : air con + swimming pool. I had best time in Sihanoukville :beer3:
I went back to Phnom Penh and get a 20$ room with air con but no swimming pool.

I know it depend of the location and of the season. Tell us what you get and for what price?
Where?/]When?/Confort?/How much?

If you have tips, plese share :thumb:
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What is your hotel budget per day? How have better for cheaper?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Use booking site for idea.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 pm Use booking site for idea.
It's what I did. I used Tripadvisor, Agoda and Booking.com. If some people have good tips, I will be happy to hear them.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

$15 if it's for a quick stayover. Usually about $20-40 if it's got a nice pool.

Earlier this year Citi had a special going on where they gave you $50 off every hotel night stay, so I booked about 40 nights with that. Most places were just slightly over the $50, so that was about 40 nights that were damn near free.

Even $20 goes far in Cambodia. In Siem Reap we stayed at a place for that with a pool and breakfast.

I typically book through hotels.com these days. They have started doing the whole VIP thing that Expedia has been doing, and it's usually the going rate, plus you get free upgrades, etc. And you still get 10 stays = a free night of equal value. And an extra 2ish % back as cash if you visit ebates.com first, which is a shopping portal that shares their affiliate money with their customers.

We stayed at a resort for about $50 in Siem Reap, and because it was a VIP hotel, we got a free upgrade and a bottle of champagne. I was still probably most impressed with the top notch breakfast buffet with bacon, lol.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 am $15 if it's for a quick stayover. Usually about $20-40 if it's got a nice pool.

Earlier this year Citi had a special going on where they gave you $50 off every hotel night stay, :shock: :shock: :shock: so I booked about 40 nights with that. Most places were just slightly over the $50, so that was about 40 nights that were damn near free.

Even $20 goes far in Cambodia. In Siem Reap we stayed at a place for that with a pool and breakfast.

I typically book through hotels.com these days. They have started doing the whole VIP thing that Expedia has been doing, and it's usually the going rate, plus you get free upgrades, etc. And you still get 10 stays = a free night of equal value. And an extra 2ish % back as cash if you visit ebates.com first, which is a shopping portal that shares their affiliate money with their customers.

We stayed at a resort for about $50 in Siem Reap, and because it was a VIP hotel, we got a free upgrade and a bottle of champagne. I was still probably most impressed with the top notch breakfast buffet with bacon, lol.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Yeah booking sites are solid values. I will check the ones you mentioned above.
For you Bacon>everything, funny to know that :D
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Depending on the length of your stay, serviced apartments have been a good option for us. Sometimes wanting to get out of PP for an extended time we go to Siem Reap for a month. Now we have a new construction, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, large living room, wifi tv, A/C and ceiling fan in every room, etc and weekly cleaning for $600 per month. Nice swimming pool and quiet/privacy away from tourist areas, no bullshit with hotel lobbies and bringing guests. Maybe an extra $40-$50 for electricity per month depending on how much you use A/C. We used a property management company - IPS who gave us many choices. So $20-$25 a day for high end housing with 2 bedrooms if you can stay minimum of one month. But no breakfast and bacon.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Many people who stay short term want air conditioning.

Many people who stay long term get a room without air conditioning.

If a the roof and walls of room are exposed to direct sunlight, it can be very hot. If there are other floors above, and a tree or another building on the side, the room may not be as hot, and a lot of people are OK in such a room with a fan.

You may get a room with a fan for $5 or $6 if you stay for some time, or $7 or $8 for a short stay.

Some places are more expensive, for example Siem Reap.

In some guest houses, they show new arrivals to the worst rooms first. The rooms that other people dont want. That is how they fill those rooms.

There is a room I have stayed in a few times in Phnom Penh, which is a large room. Most people dont like that room because they need to walk up a lot of stairs. I dont mind the stairs, so I get that room for a good price.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Stuff that I consider important features don’t make it on the booking sites. For example ...

Elevator is high on my list for a multi floor guesthouse. Carrying multiple 20+ kilogram bags up and down steep Khmer style stairs isn’t so fun (especially the super narrow ones) over multiple floors, nonetheless. Big, comfy bed would be a next. Nothing is a downer more than sleeping on wood for a mattress. And so much more..
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 am $15 if it's for a quick stayover. Usually about $20-40 if it's got a nice pool.

Earlier this year Citi had a special going on where they gave you $50 off every hotel night stay, so I booked about 40 nights with that. Most places were just slightly over the $50, so that was about 40 nights that were damn near free.

Hey Mack,

If your staying over 10-15 nites, isn't it more cost effective to get an apartment? if you can get an apartment for 250- 300 per month for 1 or 2 months --- you get privacy, your own space etc..
just seems like to pay 20 bucks for over 10 nites, you can get an apartment for a month
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

Thank you for sharing your experiences guys :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic