Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

Post by ned kelly »

I have heard its possible to renew your license at Aeon 2,has anyone done this recently?

Thanks.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

Post by Clemen »

Yes, and yes

New way of getting the Driving licence in Phnom Penh. Aeon mall II just opened a Week ago . Second floor. Staff very friendly. It was the same Price as the ministry of transport in Phnom Penh. So 10000 for the medical check and 30000 for the fee. So 40000 total. (10 dollars) . You need 2 photos. Old khmer licence and/or home Country licence (and One copy) . Original Passeport (and One copy) And proof of Residency (sangkat). For the payment they ask you to pay the 10000 cash and the 30000 with wing or Smart Luy ( the Smart office is not far from the main entrance on the ground floor. Fee 1000.) 45 minutes total. Great service.
I just got my license last week, I would add that you need a copy of the front and back of your current license, a copy of your visa, and that the Smart Luy is now located inside the the office itself.
up to you...
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Clemen wrote:Yes, and yes

New way of getting the Driving licence in Phnom Penh. Aeon mall II just opened a Week ago . Second floor. Staff very friendly. It was the same Price as the ministry of transport in Phnom Penh. So 10000 for the medical check and 30000 for the fee. So 40000 total. (10 dollars) . You need 2 photos. Old khmer licence and/or home Country licence (and One copy) . Original Passeport (and One copy) And proof of Residency (sangkat). For the payment they ask you to pay the 10000 cash and the 30000 with wing or Smart Luy ( the Smart office is not far from the main entrance on the ground floor. Fee 1000.) 45 minutes total. Great service.
I just got my license last week, I would add that you need a copy of the front and back of your current license, a copy of your visa, and that the Smart Luy is now located inside the the office itself.
Can you renew before the current licence expires?
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

Clemen wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm Yes, and yes

Thank you. And you definitely need a letter from the Sangat?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ned kelly wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:39 pm
Clemen wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm Yes, and yes

Thank you. And you definitely need a letter from the Sangat?
Not if you renew your existing khmer licence. Probably need sangkat when converting your home country licence to new khmer licence.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 pm Probably need sangkat when converting your home country licence to new khmer licence.
Confirmed. And the letter from the sangkat should bear your photo and state that it is issued to support a driving permit application.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

As a first time applicant I needed a letter from the Sangkat, others have reported they did not. The guy in front of me had an expired Khmer license and they asked him for the letter as well. As always YMMV
up to you...
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

I paid at the MOL last week. Medical 3000,, Wing 30000 + 1000 for the wing fee. Process to 50 minutes. Staff helpful and pleasant to deal with.
Lunch there 12-2pm. Arrived at 1.15 pm from Kampot when staff drifted back from lunch clearly noticed us early arrivals as when the started work I was called up first.
Good service just ask (in English me Arty Khmer) where next ... they happy to tell you. Passapp back to near riverside around an hour due to traffic $4.5

NOTE NOTE NOTE make sure your home country licence has more than one month left on it or your not likely to get a renewal... happened to the American I was with ..his US licence 15 days left on it... sorry no good.....
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Clemen wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 pm As a first time applicant I needed a letter from the Sangkat, others have reported they did not. The guy in front of me had an expired Khmer license and they asked him for the letter as well. As always YMMV
I went to the trouble and expense to get the Sangkat letter coz:

1. my Khmer licence had expired 2 mths previously

2. it was for car only and I wanted moto licence added for >125cc (my home licence already has both car and moto)

3. my home licence was due to expire in 11 days

Despite all that, they didn't blink an eyelid and never asked for the Sangkat letter (I never told them I had it either). Go figure...must have picked a good day.

The only thing I'm unsure about is that reading another thread, I was expecting 2 separate licences..1 for car and 1 for moto>125cc. So I asked for the additional moto requirement and they said OK but then I got a single renewed licence. When I queried that they showed me an additional annotation in one of the boxes at the bottom for moto. They assured me it was a combined licence and that I was good for big moto. My GF confirmed the annotation is for moto but it doesn't specify >125cc...albeit there is no licence now for <125 so I guess it's OK..nevertheless not 100% sure on this.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I need some assistance on the driving licence

I've finally tracked down the local Sangkat office. They decline to issue a residence certificate. Reason given- I'm not Khmer.

I have a lease on an apartment.
An IDP
UK driving licence
1 year 'E' visa with multiple entry

According to the Driving licence department at Aeon2, I must have the residence certificate, or they won't issue a driving licence.
Any (genuine) suggestions or help gratefully received.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic