I may or may not have just witnessed a homicide outside Wat Ounalom

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

I may or may not have just witnessed a homicide outside Wat Ounalom

Post by Cam Nivag »

So I was just sitting up at Le Moon with my girlfriend. We had a table overlooking the crazy corners intersection in front of Wat Ounalom.

Shortly after we order our drinks, she points out in that direction and says "Look! Look!"

I see nothing.

She keeps saying "Look!" for 15 seconds and I ask what I'm supposed to be looking at and she said "chlueh kneeah." I know that means fighting. (I will now await a three page diversion of this thread where Jamie Lambo and others debate the proper romanization of "chlueh kneeah").

So I realize I'm supposed to be looking for people fighting. I looks down towards the street and I guess I only saw the end of the fight. A guy in dark clothes not moving, lying on the pavement about ten feet south of the main entrance to Wat Ounalom. And a guy in white t-shirt taking several kicks at his exposed head.

White T-shirt guy lingers at the scene for a bit and then heads south down Sothearos. Dark clothes guy lies on the ground not moving with no one approaching for quite a few minutes, like as long as it takes to get served at Le Moon.

Finally two guys in black clothes walk over from the grassy urination park in the middle of the intersection, presumably to help him. They get within 5 feet when one of the guys pulls his buddy back as if to direct him "Let's not get involved in helping this guy." But his good hearted buddy breaks free to tend to the unconscious man and approaches him and ... kicks him in the head.

At that point my girlfriend and I suspect the victim must be a "jao" because two seemingly separate guys both felt he deserved a kicking.

Anyway, over the next twenty minutes, a few dozen passersby approached the guy, took his photo, and left.

I asked my girlfriend if we should try to help the guy or call the police and she said no. Which was fine with me. At one point she said she thought she saw him move, I never did, but my long distance eyesight isn't good at night.

We got a tuk tuk home, riding right past the guy, and by then there was a crowd of about a dozen people around him taking photos. My girlfriend said they included the police. Whether he was dead or alive, I have no idea.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: I may or may not have just witnessed a homicide outside Wat Ounalom

Post by Username Taken »

Can you go back for an update?

And, where are the photos?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

My first thought is that you're a despicable human being to witness something like that and do nothing, and then I re-consider and wonder; all things considered how I might react, especially with the GF saying don't get involved. I guess in all honesty then my roll out might be the same.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

What I am curious about is your GF. Is this like a real GF relationship? Like you have a long term steady girl now Mr. Gavin?
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Would a phone call to police been too much to ask? Yes they are corrupt as we all know and might not show up or whatever, but your gf could have made a phone call or asked the restaurant to call and report the incident. Noone is asking you to run down and do CPR or fight off attackers or pay his hospital bill or anything.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Stinkman wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:31 am Would a phone call to police been too much to ask? Yes they are corrupt as we all know and might not show up or whatever, but your gf could have made a phone call or asked the restaurant to call and report the incident. Noone is asking you to run down and do CPR or fight off attackers or pay his hospital bill or anything.
I thought of that also, however two things come to mind. Lots of other people/witnesses around that are a lot closer. Probably a number of them already called police? Then there is this; one time when someone was knocking on my patio door after climbing into my locked compound, I asked my GF to call the police, and she didn't even know how.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I would certainly not get involved, I have seen violence in SEA and rarely is a fair fight and am amazed at how it is so often ignored. I believe Karma may have something to do with it. I have been advised that it is best to see nothing and say nothing and in a country where everyone seems to have an alliance with someone that is way over my head it seems like good advice.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

There used to be a tourist police post right next to where this is described to have happened.

Haha, call the police. Cam Nivag did the right thing. I hope this didn't ruin dinner.
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:57 am My first thought is that you're a despicable human being to witness something like that and do nothing, and then I re-consider and wonder; all things considered how I might react, especially with the GF saying don't get involved. I guess in all honesty then my roll out might be the same.
As cynical as it may sound, do not get involved!
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

Cambodia is still a ghetto in many ways.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic