Best off road bicycle

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Best off road bicycle

Post by explorer »

Anyone wanting to buy a good off road bicycle, I suggest you consider a fat bike.

These have 4 inch, or 100 mm tires.

These are better than other bicycles when it comes to sand and mud which you may often come across in Cambodia.

On the road they are equal to the best mountain bikes.

They have a good range of gears for high and low speeds.

They have good disk brakes.

They have a strong aluminum frame.

The tires give a little extra height, which also makes them good for taller people.

The tires spread out the weight which makes them better for heavier people or heavier loads.

The tires absorb small bumps, giving a slightly smoother ride. Not the big bumps.

I have met people who have brought in bicycles from Europe and Australia. These fat bikes are less expensive. But more expensive than second hand ladies bikes.

These are for sale in Phnom Penh at Scott bicycles, number 124, 126 on Street 182. Not far from Orussey Market. There are two shops together owned by the same people.

They are also for sale in Sihanoukville on the road to psaa ler (the market) not far from the large supermarket, Sumedera. The second bicycle shop from the supermarket. They did not display the bicycles out the front. You will see the name X-treme at the front.

They also sell them in Koh Kong. I don't know where.

If you do need spares or repairs, you may need to go to Scott in PP.

I do not have any connection with this business. I have just found these bicycles far better for off road use.

I think these bicycles will become very popular in years to come.
Last edited by explorer on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Best off road bicycle

Post by explorer »

People going back to their home country can put a bicycle on the plane, with minor disassembly and wrapping. Check with your airline.

To buy it in Cambodia and take it home will probably be cheaper than buying it at home.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

those tires are totally worthless except for riding in the sand, 100% NOT for MUD
terrible for off road mountain biking

"The tires give a little extra height, which also makes them good for taller people"
TOTAL BS,thats what the seat post is for!!

"The tires absorb small bumps, giving a slightly smoother ride. Not the big bumps."
more BS, thats what the shocks are for
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I use my bike in Cambodia, with some on road use, and some riding on the dirt tracks in and around Cambodian villages.

When it comes to mud:

There are some small patches of shallow mud which you can ride through on any bike.

There are some large patches of deep mud which you avoid on all bikes, particularly when you see several of them on a track.

But there are some patches of mud you can ride through on a fat bike, which you cant ride through on a bike with thin tires.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Add a 48v 1000w electric rear hub motor and they make a good replacement for a scooter without the hassles of registration and drivers license
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Taller people on bicycles.

I know you can buy large frame bicycles, but these are very rare in Cambodia, and I don't want to buy an expensive bike.

You can raise the seat, but even at the maximum height it may be too low.

You can buy a longer seat post, but if it is too long, it may bend when you hit a bump.

If you have a higher bicycle to start with this is less of an issue.

If the seat becomes higher than the handlebars, it may be good for high speed, but it is uncomfortable for casual riding.

You can raise the handlebars. You need a mechanism for this. You may also need to replace the brake and gear cables.

If you have a higher bicycle to start with this is less of an issue.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have been told there is also another shop in PP selling these, but I have not seen it myself. I think the price is higher.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:05 am Add a 48v 1000w electric rear hub motor and they make a good replacement for a scooter without the hassles of registration and drivers license
In the future I may buy an electric bike.

Do you know where to buy an 1000w electric hub or wheel for a fat bike? Even a regular mountain bike?

It may cost more than the bike.

One issue is range. You cant refuel.

The other issue is theft. The more something is worth, the more likely to be stolen, and the more you lose. You need to watch expensive things.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

This is the bike I have been looking into because of the new hassles with not only being able to get a one or two year license , because I'm 68, and having to go through the 10 year license procedure each time at renewal time
This bike has the 48v rear hub motor and a nicely protected battery/electronic case

I even have put my much loved NSS250A Forza for sale that I have rebuilt the engine on and replaced with new carb and all electronics because I was going to keep it till I die.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Where is this for sale, what sort of price, what distance can it travel, what specs?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic