volunteerism

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

volunteerism

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/s ... ly-do-harm

wanted to add to a post earlier today, can't find it.

Charlie
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: volunteerism

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Our enterprise group has a registered tourism arm, which we allowed to stall as we grew tired of explaining to western tourists why we don't offer orphanage tours or support poverty tourism. These articles have been coming out for years, and yet (increasingly younger) people still want the White Saviour selfie for their Facebook page. Maybe we need to start shaming the posting of such photos, I dunno.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm ... (increasingly younger) people still want the White Saviour selfie for their Facebook page. Maybe we need to start shaming the posting of such photos, I dunno.
Great idea for a thread!

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:57 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:44 pm ... (increasingly younger) people still want the White Saviour selfie for their Facebook page. Maybe we need to start shaming the posting of such photos, I dunno.
Great idea for a thread!
Spoiler:
Except, do you know her to be a voluntourist? She could well be a paid teacher.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 pm

On her travel blog entry The Two sides of Cambodia by Celinne, she writes "Celinne spent two weeks teaching English at an orphanage in Phnom Penh, Cambodia." I presume that was unpaid work, which makes her a voluntourist.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:04 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 pm

On her travel blog entry The Two sides of Cambodia by Celinne, she writes "Celinne spent two weeks teaching English at an orphanage in Phnom Penh, Cambodia." I presume that was unpaid work, which makes her a voluntourist.
Fair call - yep, I'd call that voluntourism.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

From the article:
Voluntourism ... perpetuates the myth that change happens as a result of expressions of caring from rich white people.
And also this:
“This is a huge, committed, passionate, motivated population willing to do just about anything to care for these kids,” says Nicole Wilke, research fellow at the Christian Alliance. “These people are not the enemy. They are the solution here. If we don’t want them going into orphanages, what do we have for them?”

For some people, the answer might be nothing. “We are competing with that incredible emotional reward of walking into an institution and having 10 kids jump into your arms,” says Goldman, of Maestral International. “It’s something very difficult to replicate.”
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

All this new age politically correct mumbo jumbo that people have invented to dress up what they do in this sector, is good old fashioned charity such a frowned upon negatively perceived endeavour in the coffee shops, bistros, facial hair tending and whatever else venues that host the competitive moral high ground jousting amongst this lot.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Trapper banned ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic