12 volt televisions and computers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

12 volt televisions and computers

Post by explorer »

In some parts of Cambodia there are a lot of power failures. If you run computers from 12 volt batteries, you can continue to use them when power failures occur. (Be aware, in many places the WIFI goes off when there is a power failure.)

I was in a shop selling electrical appliances recently, and they sell 12 volt televisions. They come with a power supply from the mains which puts out 12 volts, and another connector you can use to run the television from a battery.

I have also brought Raspberry Pi computers to Cambodia. These run from a USB power supply, the same as a phone charger. 12 volt USB power supplies are readily available. You need to get one which outputs enough amps.

I use televisions as monitors for Raspberry Pi computers, as the ones I have seen are cheaper than computer monitors with sound. You can play English lessons for example, on computers with sound. Any televisions I buy in the future, I plan to buy 12 volt, so there is the option of running it from a battery.

I have also brought notebook computers to Cambodia. Notebook computers come with a battery. (You can buy 12 volt power supplies for notebook computers in Australia, if you want to use them for a long time during a power failure.)

I may or may not not buy Raspberry Pi computers in the future, depending if they bring out a higher performance model. A Raspberry Pi computer with power supply, keyboard, mouse, and reasonable size television costs approximately US$200. I recently bought decent performance notebook computers in Australia which normally retail for under AU$500, but were on a special promotion for under AU$400. This is under US$300. A notebook computer with a decent performance for US$300 is better than a Raspberry Pi for US$200 in many situations. But then if a computer only costs $200, it is not expensive to replace any part which may break.

I set up computers in English, but so they can switch to Khmer keyboard, and use Khmer fonts. The Raspberry Pi computers, I set up to tripple boot 3 operating systems. One to use as a regular computer, one for playing videos, and one for games. The most recent notebook computers, I set up to duel boot Linux and Windows, with Linux being the primary operating system. If anyone wants more information on setting up computers, I can share.

Be aware, many computers sold and used in Cambodia are low performance, slow computers. It is ideal to get decent performance computers which operate at a reasonable speed.

The computers are for students, or where they teach computing to students.

I have one computer which I use myself, and will give to a student when I leave.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 12 volt televisions and computers

Post by beaker »

:facepalm: :popcorn:
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I think a Raspberry Pi is writing his posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:50 am
Be aware, many computers sold and used in Cambodia are low performance, slow computers. It is ideal to get decent performance computers which operate at a reasonable speed.
There are these things called "specs" that you can check. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 am
explorer wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:50 am
There are these things called "specs" that you can check. :roll:
You’re getting ahead of yourself, John. He’ll be discussing glasses later.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

A lot of Cambodians are not aware of what the specs mean, and buy low performance, slow computers. Some foreigners also dont know what the specs mean.

A lot of computer shops sell a lot of low performance, slow computers.

It is OK for poor people to buy cheap computers, but anyone who has used a computer with a decent performance is likely to get fed up with a slow computer.

I mentioned, I bought decent performance computers for US$300. There is no need for foreigners to buy low performance, slow computers. Many computers sold in Cambodia for more than US$300, are low performance, slow computers.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kill me now.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

In some parts of Cambodia there are a lot of power failures.

I have also brought notebook computers to Cambodia. Notebook computers come with a battery.

Be aware, many computers sold and used in Cambodia are low performance, slow computers.

This is gold. The gift that keeps on giving. Gotta give him credit though. He doesn't seem at all fazed by the heaps of scorn and ridicule piled on him. I would have quit the forum with my tail between my legs by now.

Johnny
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

explorer wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:17 pm A lot of computer shops sell a lot of low performance, slow computers.
That's because people try to run software with higher hardware requirements than the computer has available.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

johnny lightning wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm In some parts of Cambodia there are a lot of power failures.

I have also brought notebook computers to Cambodia. Notebook computers come with a battery.

Be aware, many computers sold and used in Cambodia are low performance, slow computers.

This is gold. The gift that keeps on giving. Gotta give him credit though. He doesn't seem at all fazed by the heaps of scorn and ridicule piled on him. I would have quit the forum with my tail between my legs by now.

Johnny
But what is the point of pursuing something when you're obviously clueless? How much more before this guy takes a hint?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic