Ministry craziness

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Ministry craziness

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just wrapped up with ministry of immigration, sex trafficking unit. Started this morning by going to the fixer at the ministry of foreigner affairs. Everything is in order, and then went to the fixer at the next ministry of sex trafficking. The fixer there assured me all was in order. Big mistake.

Both the missus and I dressed in business casual as befitted an important place as a ministry. Me in suit and tie. Missus in business suit. Big mistake.

Gate keeper guy at the sex trafficking unit told the missus that both us must be sex traffickers. According to him, only bar girls dress in business attire and pimps wear suit and tie. All official papers can be faked by professional sex traffickers and nothing can be believe. Could not believe jobs, income, everything.

For example, the letter to certify income was not hand written by the company CEO and have the company seal embossed on it. Paycheck slips were also not embossed with the company seal and signed by the treasurer and thus could be fake.

After this humiliation, missus called back to the fixer at the ministry of foreigner affairs. After a while the fixer said to return and resubmit all paperwork and act like we saw them for the first time.

After a long lunch break, people filtered back to the sex trafficking unit. The gatekeeper guy had a different demeanor. He told us paperwork was accepted. Went to the various desks to answer questions, fill out paperwork, and give fingerprints.

So what the heck happened?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Ministry craziness

Post by kiwiincambodia »

What’s the ministry sex trafficking unit and why were you there?

More than likely he got a call from a higher up telling him you had already passed the first check so to let you proceed. Why he was like that in the first place is anyone’s guess but best guess would be he wanted some tea money.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't understand your post at all. Why would you visit the sex-trafficking unit? Surely the Anti-human trafficking department is part of the Ministry of Interior anyway?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Hmmm...that story sounds extremely odd, I'm inclined to call BS, possibly lost in translation...but since you're such an awesome poster Newkid, I'll take your word for it.

But Newkid...why the fuck are you using a fixer?! You have read the guide I posted, just follow that...don't waste your money on fixers!

The sex trafficking unit Newkid is referring to is the 'National Committe to Lead the Suppression of Human Trafficking, Smuggling, Labour Exploitation and Sexual Exploitation in Woman and Children (S.T.S.L.S)' , which is a department of the MoI, based out of the Department of Identification Building. This is where all the various departments of the MoI conduct the interviews as part of the Foreigners marrying Cambodian Citizens application process.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:51 pm which is a department of the MoI, based out of the Department of Identification Building.
Is that Ministry of Interior or Dept of Immigration?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:51 pm which is a department of the MoI, based out of the Department of Identification Building.
Is that Ministry of Interior or Immigration?
MoI = Ministry of Interior
GDoI = General Department of Immigration (of the Ministry of Interior)
GDI = General Department of Identification (of the Ministry of Interior)
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:35 pm Just wrapped up with ministry of immigration, sex trafficking unit. Started this morning by going to the fixer at the ministry of foreigner affairs. Everything is in order, and then went to the fixer at the next ministry of sex trafficking. The fixer there assured me all was in order. Big mistake.

Both the missus and I dressed in business casual as befitted an important place as a ministry. Me in suit and tie. Missus in business suit. Big mistake.

Gate keeper guy at the sex trafficking unit told the missus that both us must be sex traffickers. According to him, only bar girls dress in business attire and pimps wear suit and tie. All official papers can be faked by professional sex traffickers and nothing can be believe. Could not believe jobs, income, everything.

For example, the letter to certify income was not hand written by the company CEO and have the company seal embossed on it. Paycheck slips were also not embossed with the company seal and signed by the treasurer and thus could be fake.

After this humiliation, missus called back to the fixer at the ministry of foreigner affairs. After a while the fixer said to return and resubmit all paperwork and act like we saw them for the first time.

After a long lunch break, people filtered back to the sex trafficking unit. The gatekeeper guy had a different demeanor. He told us paperwork was accepted. Went to the various desks to answer questions, fill out paperwork, and give fingerprints.

Can you explain to us what you needed to go there for? =@
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Love your threads NKOTB.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Arget wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:35 pm Just wrapped up with ministry of immigration, sex trafficking unit. Started this morning by going to the fixer at the ministry of foreigner affairs. Everything is in order, and then went to the fixer at the next ministry of sex trafficking. The fixer there assured me all was in order. Big mistake.

Can you explain to us what you needed to go there for? =@
It's part of the marriage process, introduced at the same time the marriage age was capped at 50 for foreign men.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic