Is the crud going around?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Is the crud going around?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Got back from Aeon 2 day before yesterday. Wonderful time, but a lot of people coughing. I didn’t really notice it, but my better half sees it all. By the next morning had the cough, itchy raw throat, nasal drainage. By evening, yellow phlegm and general malaise. The pool romp didn’t help things. Stopped by the pharmacy to pick up azithromycin, guaifensin, dextromorphan. Put both me and the missus on the regimen last night and resting all day long today.

So is it my imagination, or is the crud going around?
violet
Expatriate

Re: Is the crud going around?

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am Got back from Aeon 2 day before yesterday. Wonderful time, but a lot of people coughing. I didn’t really notice it, but my better half sees it all. By the next morning had the cough, itchy raw throat, nasal drainage. By evening, yellow phlegm and general malaise. The pool romp didn’t help things. Stopped by the pharmacy to pick up azithromycin, guaifensin, dextromorphan. Put both me and the missus on the regimen last night and resting all day long today.

You went in a public pool with your infection? Great community spirit. If it wasn't going around before, it is now.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

violet wrote:You went in a public pool with your infection? Great community spirit. If it wasn't going around before, it is now.
Missus bought a floating pool ring from Decathalon and wanted to try it out. She did water dancing in the pool and tried out all sorts of crazy cool moves. It was an unforgettable experience.

Maybe the Mainland Chinese hordes will get sick and go home?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am Got back from Aeon 2 day before yesterday. Wonderful time, but a lot of people coughing. I didn’t really notice it, but my better half sees it all. By the next morning had the cough, itchy raw throat, nasal drainage. By evening, yellow phlegm and general malaise. The pool romp didn’t help things. Stopped by the pharmacy to pick up azithromycin, guaifensin, dextromorphan. Put both me and the missus on the regimen last night and resting all day long today.

Antidiotics wont help with Flu as it is viral.

Health Ministry’s disease control department warns of flu season. Hong Tholly Sonit 11 July 2018

The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control Department (CDC) has warned the public to beware of the seasonal strain of influenza H1N1, also known as “swine flu”, during the current rainy season. It said there has been a rise in the number of people infected with it during the current rainy season.

The announcement, posted on the CDC website and Facebook page on Friday, said an outbreak of H1N1 had occurred in an unnamed neighbouring country, which subsequently spread to the Kingdom.

By using the influenza surveillance system, the CDC had been alerted to numerous cases of patients infected with it and found that at least some of them have been confirmed as H1N1 infections. However, none were considered serious.

Because it is the rainy season now, there is an increased risk of getting infected with H1N1, which health authorities are concerned might develop into H3N2, H2N2, and influenza types B and C, said the CDC.

To prevent contracting the flu, the CDC recommends washing hands frequently with soap or using hand sanitiser and staying at least one metre away from those infected.

It also advised those who have been infected to wear masks and frequently wash their hands to stop its spread.

The symptoms of the flu include having body temperature over 38.5 degrees, coughing, having a sore throat and experiencing fatigue.

The ministry advised the public on flu treatments, including taking medicine, drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep, reducing outdoor exercise and eating foods containing vitamin C.

It also recommends people not use antibiotics as it won’t help kill the virus, but would instead leave the patient weaker and slow down the recovery process.

Those who experience the flu symptoms are advised to visit the nearest hospital if their condition worsens or they don’t recover in three days. https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... flu-season

How is swine flu (H1N1 flu) treated?

Like seasonal flu, most people will recover from swine flu (H1N1 flu) within a week without any antiviral medications. The U.S. centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all individuals with suspected or confirmed swine flu infection be considered for treatment with antiviral agents, especially hospitalized patients and patients at higher risk for complications.

Antiviral agents prevent, shorten, and reduce the severity of flu. Antiviral agents used for treatment and prevention of swine flu are oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza). Swine flu is resistant to amantadine (Symmetrel) and rimantadine (Flumadine). Oseltamivir and zanamivir are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment and prevention of flu in adults and children. They are most effective when administered within two days of an infection. Oseltamivir is administered as a capsule, and zanamivir is administered by oral inhalation. https://www.rxlist.com/antiviral_treatm ... dition.htm
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

What happened to the scare campaign on SARS and Chicken Flu
Now it's all about Swine Flu . Will it be the Dog Flu next ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Eel flu
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

violet wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pmEel flu

I guess your not from China, or you would know it's the year of the Dog
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Duncan wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:08 pm
violet wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pmEel flu

I guess your not from China, or you would know it's the year of the Dog
A slow brain day
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am Stopped by the pharmacy to pick up azithromycin....
Azithromycin is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.This medication will not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
https://www.medicinenet.com/azithromyci ... rticle.htm
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am Stopped by the pharmacy to pick up azithromycin....
Azithromycin is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.This medication will not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
https://www.medicinenet.com/azithromyci ... rticle.htm
The green and/or yellow crud coming from my nose and throat is usually not viral.

Day #2 of Z-Pak
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic